Friday, June 05, 2015

Writing Odes this past month

My Poetry Sisters and I have been scribbling down Odes all through the past month. Every month this year we are working on writing different forms of poetry in a group challenge. It's been both fun and frustrating at times! But Odes are pure fun. We agreed to take a light-hearted look at things this month, and some of these are downright funny! Check out my compatriot's Odes at these links:

Tricia Storh Hunt
Liz Garton Scanlon
Tanita S. Davis
Laura Purdie Salas
Kelly R. Fineman
Sara Lewis Holmes

Here is my contribution; one of a series of Odes to Knitting that I've been playing with this month.


In knitting
the frog is
not the cool
green fellow
sitting on lily pads
croaking in afternoon sun.
No - it’s much
more tragic
than that idyll.
Frogging it
in knitting
is ripping out
all of yesterday
or last week’s
work in dismay.
The pattern went wrong,
stitch count is off.
Hours erased
from the life
of my fingers.
Seeking the right path.
RRRiiiiiiiipppp it out -
try again


Don't miss the Friday Poetry roundup hosted at Buffy's Blog. Cheers!


Tricia said...

So, I loved all three of your odes and actually read them as a cycle of poems. I do love this and can feel the pain of undoing all the work. It's why I gave up on crocheting. I'm too much of a perfectionist and was constantly ripping out and starting over. Who knew there was a name for this?

Well done, Andi. I do hope you'll share the others some day.

laurasalas said...

I love this, Andi. Just last night I unraveled (or ripped, or whatever) the first 8 rows of my project and started again. This is my 4th attempt! Somehow, I still love, though, that--unlike in writing--there IS a "right" way to do whatever the project is. The reward IS reachable, if I just keep trying. I especially love "Hours erased from the life of my fingers." I just count those hours as physical meditation, though:>) I hope you'll be sharing the other knitting poems, too!

Liz in Ink said...

I agree with Tricia -- they could totally be read together as sort of a triptych. This one is so well done but it pains me!!!

tanita✿davis said...

Frogging is a sad, sad fact of life... and I've been avoiding it on a scarf project that I only work on in church. I am realizing that I cannot both pay attention and knit, and the number of dropped stitches in the thing is... well. I'll be ribbit-ripping along with you shortly.

Sara said...

Frogging is one of those cool terms that I never knew existed and now want to use all the time---about everything, not just knitting! Frogging a draft of a novel at the moment... :) In any case, this poem doesn't need frogging; it's excellently made.

Kelly Fineman said...

I didn't know this definition of frogging before, but I love how your ending "Rrrrrip it out" echoes the "ribbit" of a real frog. And how the frustration of it all comes through, but in a humorous way.

Buffy Silverman said...

As a frog lover and a knitter, I felt your pain in rrrripppping your stitches. Love this one!

Mary Lee said...

What Kelly said about "Rrrrrrip it" and "ribbit"! And echoing the request Laura made for more knitting poems!