Friday, May 01, 2015

The Flight of Sons; a pantoum

This month my Poetry Sisters and I are working on writing Pantoums. Pantoums are an old form of poetry with four line stanzas, where the second and fourth line of each stanza is repeated as the first and third lines of the next stanza. They can be any length, and don't have a set rhyme scheme. The last stanza reapeats the third and first lines of the first as the second and fourth lines. The repetition allows a spiraling of meaning, revealing complexity the way a stitch pattern enriches the beauty of a knitted item.

Our thematic words for this exercise were either "flight" or "certainty". Here's mine:

The Flight of Sons

He grew up on Star Wars -
read all the novels, built the Legos,
hanging at the bookstore &
dreaming of living in the stars.

Yes, he read Star Wars novels, but
I didn’t want him to join the academy.
Only just to dream of living in the stars.
I didn’t have more in mind.

To actually join the academy?
Yes, we got Legos to play it out;
I didn’t have more in mind.
Sons - they want to fly.

We bought all the Legos;
I dreamed of stars.
He learned to fly.
After all, Star Wars.
        -Andromeda Jazmon

Please visit the blogs of my Poetry Sisters to read their Pantoums:

Liz Garton Scanlon
Trisha Stohr Hunt
Kelly R. Fineman
Sara Lewis Holms
Laura Purdie Salas
Tanita S. Davis 


tanita✿davis said...

I dreamed of stars, HE learned to fly, reminds me of the Water Boys song "The Whole of the Moon."

I pictured a rainbow
You held it in your hands
I had flashes
But you saw the plan
I wandered out in the world for years
While you just stayed in your room
I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon
The whole of the moon
I spoke about wings
You just flew
I wondered, I guessed and I tried
You just knew
I sighed
But you swooned
I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon
The whole of the moon

With a torch in your pocket
And the wind at your heels
You climbed on the ladder
And you know how it feels
To get too high
Too far
Too soon
You saw the whole of the moon
The whole of the moon

The nice thing about sons is that they want to fly, but once they know how, they can fly back.

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

Tanita, that is so lovely! Thanks for sharing it here. Yes, he is good about flying home again - a blessing!

Kelly Fineman said...

Love the Water Boys song that Tanita quoted - if you haven't listened to it, Andi, you should find it. I'm pretty sure you'd like it.

Great work on your pantoum - it's very bittersweet.

laurasalas said...

I love your poem, Andi, and also the lyrics that Tanita shared. "hanging out at the bookstore & dreaming of living in the stars" That is what books do for us. No wonder oppressive regimes limit education. Knowledge and books are indeed full of danger of the best and scariest kind:>)

jama said...

Lovely poem, Andi. Like the wistful tone, a mother's love.

Sara said...

So glad he flies home to see his momma! My boy is about to do this soon too, so I'll hold onto your poem tightly when he does.

Tricia said...

I find this achingly beautiful. Maybe heartbreaking is a good word too. Or bittersweet. It's so hard to watch them grow.

Mary Lee said...

Oh, how this tugs at my heart! I'm reading it after Liz Steinglass' mom poem, so it's doubly poignant. LOVE that pic at the end!!

Lone Star Ma said...

Lovely. Makes me want to go rip our Star Was stuff to shreds and hide it all.

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

LOL he turned out pretty good. Star Wars was a good thing!