Saturday, June 07, 2014

Sarah by Marek Halter

Translated into English, Three Rivers Press, New York, 2004. Originally published in France by Robert Laffont, Paris 2003. This is a fascinating re telling of the life of Biblical Sarah, wife of Abraham. She was born to a wealthy merchant in the Sumerian city of Ur, fell in love with Abram as a young girl, and followed him all over the Middle East in a series of adventures. I gained a great deal of insight into what their cultures must have been like and marveled over the intersection of beliefs, hopes and passions that shaped their lives. This is a great read for lovers of historical fiction and family saga. Adult or YA crossover. 

I started it last week and finished the last third as part of the Mother Reader's 48 Hour Book Challenge this weekend. This is a weekend set aside for consent rated reading binging. Haven't done this in years, but my kids are finally old enough I think I can try it!

No comments: