Friday, March 29, 2013

Text Message Found Poem

I had to clear out the text messages in my cell phone this week. I found a poem there! You know how disjointed a text conversations can be, and reading it over you are going backward in time? There is something about the layers of meaning and the unique undercurrents in a conversation between familiars. There is no body language like f2f but there is a flavor, a vibe. It calls to the heart.

keyboard puzzle

Your Msg Box is 90% Full




Be right there


They want us there by 9
OK I don’t think it’s too late


the parks lady called
My battery is low


Call me when you get close
The ticket line is taking a while


Where R you?
LOL I looked at my bike today


What does the Doc say?
I just wanted to know


OK I am open now
Went to work


Driving now can’t text
Home tomorrow


Good! Come by @ 2
I love you and the boys


I was getting off the train
I was just panicking


I think I’m lost
Trapped by pouring rain


LOL you don’t look out of place!
Sitting in Starbucks


Can you come home?
Can you grab me a shirt?

Awesome and yes


Marmalade and pb sandwiches?
Want to meet for lunch?

You sound stressed


Sorry my phone doesn’t know your name
In Philly airport



 - Andromeda Jazmon

Today's Friday Poetry Round up is hosted by Mary Lee at A Year of Reading. Enjoy your Easter weekend!

Also - the March Carnival of Children's Literature is up here at Secrets & Sharing Soda. Catch some of the best blog posts of the past month and discover a few new-to-you bloggers!

Don't forget to check out the Hilary McKay blog tour that went on this week! Some great interviews and reviews posted, including my giveaway post here. We had a riveting conversation about writing cultural identity into diverse characters in children's literature.

8 comments:

jama said...

Only a poet would see a scramble of text messages and see the potential for a poem. Interesting to see these flashes from your life. Like the back and forth and the urgency here and there.

Ruth said...

I LOVE this! I have to do one. Unfortunately most of my husband's texts say "OK." (And that's all.)

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

LOL yeah, we are kinda wordy. :) But to tell the poet's truth, I mixed up a couple conversations with different people to pull out the best comments and construct a new story.

Buffy Silverman said...

I love this...what a clever idea, to weave a new story from scraps of your old messages! Maybe you've created a new poetic form: Textscambles? SMSPoetry?

Linda at teacherdance said...

I love the "Driving now can't text". What fun! I had to clean mine out lately too. Now I wish I'd looked a little harder! Thanks for the extra links too!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Love this, Andi! Now I shall have to scroll through my texts to see if I can salvage poetry from amongst all those weird abbreviations and words.

Steve Peterson said...

What a fun idea...

It must have been fun to think about how to put these together. The bare hint of stories shows up in a way that I think is fascinating:

"What does the Doc say?

I think I'm lost

Can you grab me a shirt?"

Very cool!

Joyce Ray said...

Well, I'd say that's allowed, Andy! The poem you "found" shows slices of so much of our lives. Bravo!