Friday, November 09, 2012

Melancholy Haiku for Autumn

porch edge

three rakes; one in use
on the tide of fallen leaves
another leaf falls

-Andromeda Jazmon

Here's another of my autumn sadness haiku/haiga. Traditional haiku always have a season word and those classic words evoke a typical feeling in the reader; with autumn it is often loneliness, sadness, melancholy. I am not finding it hard to dig that this year, since I am missing some of my favorite people. Our household is a little light this fall. I have three rakes because raking is a huge job all through November. But only one rake has been in heavy use. *sigh* It is looking like a good, clear, sunny weekend perfect for yard work so I really can't complain.

The Friday Poetry roundup is hosted by Ed at Think Kid, Think! Enjoy!

10 comments:

Linda at teacherdance said...

I imagine much is being said in your haiku, Andi. One rake used of three is reflective of that melancholy you speak of. I like it very much. We have snow in the weekend forecast, but sunny times return next week-for more raking.

jama said...

You've captured that melancholy mood so well, Andi. That last leaf falling -- so wistful.

Tabatha said...

Is it a consolation for being melancholy that you can write about it so well? Perhaps not, but I am pressing your haiku into my e-poetry collection like a fallen leaf.

Karen Edmisten said...

Two of my favorite things -- haiku and and autumn. No, wait -- three of my favorite things. Melancholy, too. Good stuff.

Robyn Hood Black said...

I like the image of "the tide of fallen leaves" - and your wabi/sabi sensibilities here! Thanks for sharing, Andi.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Just beautiful....the mood is so wistful, and your accompanying narrative just made it all the more so.

Liz Steinglass said...

It's quite lovely. I especially love the last line.
I feel the melancholy too.
Liz

Mary Lee said...

Another leaf falls, and another and another...and they blow and drift and rot and leave (ha). But look at the trees right now -- find the buds that are the promise of spring. Loss and reunion coexist.

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

Mary Lee that is so beautiful! Thank you for reminding me of this truth. I am hanging on to hope.

ds8848 said...

Melancholy is the perfect word, thinking of you.