Friday, November 02, 2012

Dawn Revisted; After a Hurricane

 quiet time (rest)

Dawn Revisited

by Rita Dove

Imagine you wake up
with a second chance: The blue jay
hawks his pretty wares
and the oak still stands, spreading
glorious shade. If you don't look back, the rest and listen to it here at Writer's Almanac.

Somehow this gives me a little peace, a little relief to read after the past week of horrors from Hurricane Sandy. I'm hanging this poem up in my library today on my "Friday Poetry" wall.

"...the oak still stands, spreading/ glorious shade." For all the trees down and homes washed away, many still stand. In whatever ways we can, lend a hand and reach out to neighbors in trouble, won't you?

We were fortunate in my family; we are all safe and well. I am hoping for a little sun this weekend to cheer us up while we continue to clean up from the storm.

Enjoy your Friday Poetry, hosted by Donna at Mainely Write.


Linda at teacherdance said...

The poem fits so beautifully, doesn't it? I love your lines, "the oak still stands", but also the promise of that whole sky to write on. I'm glad to hear you are okay, Andi!

Ruth said...

A perfect choice.

Author Amok said...

Hi, Andi. These lines are speaking to me: "If you don't look back,/ the future never happens."

I've been looking back a lot this week. We spent our childhood beach days at a state park just south of Seaside Heights. It was a treat to go to that boardwalk and ride the rides. I can't believe it's gone.

jama said...

"The whole sky to write on" *swoon*

and of course "the prodigal smell of biscuits"

It's been quite a week. Glad you and yours are safe.

Tabatha said...

Glad you and yours are safe, Andi. I think this weekend should be nice for your clean up. The poem is beautiful -- thank you :-)

Linda said...

I agree this poem brings a peaceful feeling. My favorite lines:

The whole sky is yours
to write on, blown open
to a blank page.

So lovely!

Donna said...

Imagine you wake up with a second chance... Love that.

Mary Lee said...

Good to remember that every day, every moment, brings second chances.

Glad you and yours stayed safe.

laurasalas said...

I love this poem, Andi, and sent it to a friend recently! Every single day is a second chance, and this poem makes me feel that keenly.

Katya said...

That's such a great poem for the mess Sandy left around here. And I really love the line, "in the prodigal smell of biscuits—". Perfect.
I love Rita Dove but I didn't know this poem.

Liz Steinglass said...

It's so hopeful!
Thank you for sharing it.

Joyce Ray said...


"The blue jay
hawks his pretty wares
and the oak still stands, spreading
glorious shade."

reminds me of how some things look so normal after a period of devastation. We can be lulled into forgetfullness if we are not the ones living through the recovery. So glad your family is okay.