Friday, October 26, 2012

Autumn Creek Walk

slow creek

autumn fires the trees
above a dim sluggish creek;
mud snake seeking sun

-Andromeda Jazmon

brown water snake

Last weekend we took a walk down the valley of a large city park. An ancient creek winds its way below the trees, completely hidden from the rest of urban life. We discovered salamanders under the leaves, spiders spinning across the trail, curious little bugs crawling on the rocks, and this brown water snake.  We wondered what type of water snake lives in this area - poisonous? A quick look up once we were home found this description of the Northern Water Snake:

Northern Water Snakes are not venomous, but have a tendency to defend themselves viciously when threatened. It has strong jaws and can inflict a severe bite. If unable to flee or if cornered it will strike repeatedly.
 Yikes! Glad we gave him plenty of room. Just after I snapped this photo he rose his head out of the water, saw us, and disappeared in a flash of mud.

The Friday Poetry Round up is hosted by Linda at TeacherDance. Enjoy!



12 comments:

Liz Steinglass said...

I love the words fire and sluggish. And the story behind the haiku. I'm glad you avoided that nasty bite!

Tabatha said...

Great image: "autumn fires the trees"!

Your investigation into water snakes just goes to show that it's a good idea to give non-poisonous snakes a lot of leeway too!

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

You packed some great imagery in those 3 lines...really liked this!

jama said...

I'm glad you kept your distance -- best not to take any chances when it comes to snakes. :) Enjoyed your haiku and lovely autumn photos, Andi.

Author Amok said...

Beautiful photos, Andi. I agree about those three lines -- tight with images. Your snake reminded me of D.H. Lawrence's snake poem, one that I love, about a snake/person encounter.

Robyn Hood Black said...

"autumn fires the trees" - beautiful! And I'm glad the snake encounter was one you could write about without injury. Lovely looking little guy! But lovely from a distance, evidently. :0)

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Great photographs. I especially loved the first line of your poem...fabulous imagery!

Doraine Bennett said...

Lovely words to accompany those beautiful photos.

Ruth said...

I love the photos and the haiku. Thank you!

Myra Garces-Bacsal from GatheringBooks said...

What an exciting autumn walk you must have had what with that water snake - perfect for the entire 'fall' vibe, I thought. Good to be safe always, though. Glad to be privileged with the backstory behind your beautiful haiku.

Mary Lee said...

Love that first line. I had to read it twice, which I love. First time it was "Autumn fires," then I realized that fires is the VERB. And the alliteration at the end. Lovely. So's the picture.

Here's to hidden bits of wild inside the city!

laurasalas said...

Love that snake! And I also love all the uh sounds in your haiku. L-uh-vely:>)