Friday, August 31, 2012

A poem for the first day of school

I was inspired this week by Trisha and her Monday Poetry Stretch at The Miss Rumphius Effect blog. She always comes up with fun poetic forms to try out, many of which I have never even heard of before. I used to be such a "free verse" girl LOL. Since getting so involved with the kidlitosphere and Friday Poetry I have rubbed up against many new challenges; one of which is the Monday Poetry Stretch. This week I am naturally thinking about the kids going back to school. Our district starts the Tuesday after Labor Day, but many of you may already have had your first day (or week!)

walking to school

This year I am not starting up again after a long summer vacation. I've been working in a college library and have been here all summer enjoying the slower but still intense pace of summer college students. My boys are going back next week though, so we have all the excitement and jitters that school shopping brings on. It has filled my mind with the sounds of lockers slamming, the smell of chalk dust and lunchrooms, and the happy smiles of eager teachers and students. The cries of friends who've missed each other all vacation, the static from the morning loud speaker... I could go on. Here's my first attempt at a Lai, a French poetic form explained in detail by Trisha here. Basically, it's 9 lines in a stanza with a rhyme scheme of a-a-b-a-a-b-a-a-b. The first two lines ("a" rhymes) are five syllables each, the third line ("b" rhymes) is just two syllables.

off to school.JPG

The Kids Go Back to School

White shirt tucked neatly,
lunchbox filled sweetly -
new shoes!
Moms kiss discreetly,
bus fills completely -
no snooze!
Rules call obliquely,
we come uniquely -
school crews!

........-Andromeda Jazmon 

 school bus

Go on over to Trisha's blog to see the other Lai poems made this week, and check out the Friday Poetry round up done by Sylvia at Poetry For Children. And have a GREAT school year all around!

11 comments:

Linda at teacherdance said...

I tried the Lai too, Andi. It was not easy & you did it beautifully-a good gathering of the essence of school starting. The bus filling, according to my grandson, is exactly right. Have a good weekend!

Diane Mayr said...

I didn't know that Tricia's challenge was back; I'll have to start visiting her blog again regularly. I am, however, glad I missed the Lai challenge! You did it so well!

jama said...

Great job! Happy New School Year for your boys :).

Katya said...

School started here on Wednesday... My oldest is too old this year for even discrete kisses -- but he still appreciates a little extra love in his lunchbox.

Hope your boy have a great school year!

Joy said...

Well done. You nailed it. Excellent poem.

Happy New School Year!

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

Thanks so much for this encouragement! It was a lot of fun trying this new form.

Author Amok said...

Linda's right -- your Lai feels easy and relaxed. Hope your kids have a good first week, Andi!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I am amazed at all the different forms of poetry you and so many of our Poetry Friday friends experiment with - to such great effect! I especially liked:
Rules call obliquely,
we come uniquely -
We start school next week - much excitement and anxiety here in New Jersey, too!

Myra Garces-Bacsal from GatheringBooks said...

I love reading originals from Poetry Friday enthusiasts. The photos are beautiful too, Andi. Hope the school year would be great for the little ones (and for you too)!

Mary Lee said...

What a fun form to read! I'm thinking it's not so easy to write!!

laurasalas said...

Love this, Andi--clever! I have missed Tricia's challenges--glad they're back! Happy new school year:>)