Friday, April 27, 2012

Puck's Poem


We drove up to his school this morning and my youngest son cried "Look!" Then laid out the above poem. Straight from the mouths of babes.


Here it is the end of National Poetry Month already! I am inspired by my Poetry Sisters, several of whom have been writing a haiku every day, or nearly every day, and posting them on their blogs. Tanita , Sara, Laura, and Liz are rocking the genre. Kelly is posting favorite poems and selections from Jane Austin.

We've all been madly scribbling behind the scenes on a new project. Stay tuned next week when we unveil our latest communal poetry extravaganza! Today make sure you visit Friday Poetry posts all over the kidlit world as Poetry Friday is hosted by Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference. Enjoy!

11 comments:

tanita davis said...

Man, your kid just blurts poetry. That's amazing.

I think maybe more kids do this than not. I should listen more...

I also love that he gives outs to his opinion. It's a worm or a caterpillar, it's up or down. The wise poet hedges his bets.

Liz Steinglass said...

I also love the "or's."

A perfect example of metaphorical thinking.

Jim Hill said...

Kids just see the world with purity, don't they? Great poem and observation by Puck.

Andi Sibley said...

I know, right? I was thinking about whether I would be late for work and scheming how to zip through traffic. He startled me awake with that poem burst. This is one reason it's good to keep a kid around.

Linda at teacherdance said...

Definitely I would keep the kid-lots of joy there! Lovely observation & it's true, hard to tell which direction a caterpillar is moving unless one stops & takes time to observe. Clearly he tells it like it is.

Susan Taylor Brown said...

What Tanita said!

I love that you have created such a creative environment for your family. Would that I could do some of my kid-raising over again.

Looking forward to the new project between you and your poetry sisters.

Betsy said...

Oooo, I love a story that ends with suspense! Puck's poem was truly precious and sweet, what a great start to your day. I will stay tuned as well!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Andi,

I especially like the end of Puck's poem.

Children do indeed blurt out poetry...even though they don't realize it. When I was teaching, I tried to write down their words when they were "blurting."

Mary Lee said...

Good boy!

(And might I add, the poetry nut doesn't fall too far from the tree! :-)

Robyn Hood Black said...

Way to go, Puck! I'm loving those "or's" as well. Nice to be open minded. Thanks for sharing this! (And looking forward to that communal, poetic surprise...!)

Tara said...

Puck has a poet's eye...at seven...and I am envious, even as I delight in what he saw. Go Puck!