Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter birds; haiku for Friday Poetry



cardinal pair 3, originally uploaded by Andi Sibley.


one cardinal pair
huddled against a cold wind;
their fortress of twigs

-Andromeda Jazmon

I've been holed up inside today, peering out the windows at the birdfeeder and listening to the wind howl around the corners of my house. Glad my house is not made of twigs like this couple of cardinals!

I am back to posting daily photos at my 365 Photo Blog Sandy Cove Trail. You are welcome to follow me there. If you have a photo blog please send me a link so I can build up my linklist.

The Friday Poetry roundup is Tara at A Teaching Life today. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Robyn Hood Black said...

Andi, I have some regular cardinal "muses" in the tree right outside my window. A female, particularly, knows just when to show up with her "chips" or even a brush against the screens to get me back on a creative track! Thanks for sharing the lovely poem and photo. (And stay warm!)

jama said...

I love seeing Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal in our yard. Love their "chip chips". Beautiful haiga, Andi.

April Halprin Wayland said...

Beautiful image and haiku, Andi. The first time I read it, my mind said "a fortress of wings" instead of "a fortress of twigs"...

Linda at teacherdance said...

We don't have cardinals in CO, but did in MO where I grew up, so enjoyed your photo very much. They are so beautiful, & I also miss their call. We have many sparrows who 'hole up' inside a shrub of now twigs, like your cardinals. They're using it like a fortress too, an apt word! I like that word 'huddled' too, again I see it in the birds some days. Thanks!

Tabatha said...

*Super* photo, Andi. "Fortress of twigs" is a perfect accompaniment.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Andi,

That's an amazing photograph--and a perfect haiku to pair with it!

Happy New Year!!!

Ruth said...

I always love your haiku.

Mary Lee said...

Wow. The color on that female really pops!

laurasalas said...

Stunning, Andi. I love that fortress of twigs!

Таня Билаш said...

Nice! Cool!