Friday, December 09, 2011

Friday Poetry: words on rocks

One of the gifts I am making my six year old son is a rock collection with words. Sort of a sight word vocabulary drawn from the creek bank. He loves rocks and collects them. On one recent nature walk he filled his pockets so full his pants fell down when he tried to run down the path ahead of me.

I love

He is learning to read and collects words. He reads signs everywhere we go. He reads me books every night before bed, often pausing in the reading to copy favorite words into the spiral notebook he has taken to carrying everywhere he goes. It slows down the story a bit but who can resist the power of claimed words?

great hope

I am quite taken with the fun of writing words on rocks. Once you start it's hard to stop! I left a lot of them blank, just so he could add his own selection, but I had to include many of my favorite beginning reader's words. I also found an old circus cookie tin to store them in. Carrying that around is a satisfying armful!

circus tin

Just for you, in honor of Friday Poetry, I have composed a haiku out of rock words:

chickadee

One of the Advent calendar activities this week was to clean, fill and hang the bird feeders. I've been seeing a lot of chickadees in the forsythia bushes outside the dining room windows. Have you ever thought of writing words on rocks and making poetry or stories out of them?

Check out the other Friday Poetry posts rounded up by Robyn at Read, Write, How.

13 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Andi,

I'm a rock collector too! Have you ever read Carol Otis Hurst's picture book "Rocks in His Head?" It was actually based on her father's life. It's a book I bet your son would enjoy. I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Head-Carol-Otis-Hurst/dp/0060294035

Carlie said...

What a sweet boy! I have one who is a rock lover too although he is still too small to collect words (3). My oldest is five though and coming up on six...we're learning words and transfixed by signs everywhere too. :) Love that your son has started a word notebook. You must be a good influence! ;)

Linda at teacherdance said...

Also, I imagine 'carrying rocks around is a satisfying armful'. What a special activity for you and your son. I think I might introduce it to a granddaughter. And, your haiku is certainly evidence that nature surrounds when one is picking up rocks! Have you discovered the new alphabet book, If Rocks Could Sing? It's great. (And-I'm sorry you are missing your son. It's a different feeling when we know we can't be together rather than choosing not to be together.)

Linda at teacherdance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda at teacherdance said...

Removed because it was a duplicate-somehow!

david elzey said...

careful how you throw your words around! i love this idea, and that tin is simply awesome, too.

maria horvath said...

Andi, your post brings to mind a poem by Charles Simic.

STONE

Go inside a stone
That would be my way.
Let somebody else become a dove
Or gnash with a tiger’s tooth.
I am happy to be a stone.

From the outside the stone is a riddle:
No one knows how to answer it.
Yet within, it must be cool and quiet
Even though a cow steps on it full weight,
Even though a child throws it in a river;
The stone sinks, slow, unperturbed
To the river bottom
Where the fishes come to knock on it
And listen.

I have seen sparks fly out
When two stones are rubbed,
So perhaps it is not dark inside after all;
Perhaps there is a moon shining
From somewhere, as though behind a hill—
Just enough light to make out
The strange writings, the star-charts
On the inner walls.

Robyn Hood Black said...

LOVE this - the idea of associating words with something as wonderful and tangible as rocks for a new young reader, and your terrific chickadee haiku. Thanks for sharing!

Andi Sibley said...

Oh wow! Thanks for all these cool rock books and the poem. So much rock love!! :)

Tabatha said...

Very inventive, Andi! And I'm with Dave -- that's a great tin.

Thumbs up for your haiku, too.

Tara said...

I just picture your little boy,pant's pockets full of marvelous rock words, happily making his way home to see what new wonders he can create with his treasures - and I have to smile. Ans thanks for the poem, too!

Ruth said...

This is the most wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your little boy and his word rocks with us.

Andi Sibley said...

So glad you all enjoyed it! I am looking forward to seeing him play with these rocks after Christmas. I'm thinking of a way to make a set for his first grade teacher as an end of year gift. Maybe with fancier, more polished rocks...