Friday, April 08, 2011

Writing the Life Poetic

Susan Taylor Brown and Laura Purdie Salas have started an online bookclub around the book Writing the Life Poetic by Sage Cohen. Each week they are alternating on their blogs to talk about a different chapter and hosting those of us who want to try the writing exercises. I am joining in late, having just received my copy of the book. I'm playing catch up today, posting a poem I wrote in response to last week's discussion of chapter 7: "13 Ways of Looking". I have always loved that poem by Wallace Stevens. I am just going to consider one new way of looking from the list of exercises: No. 2 - "If it moves, how does it move?"


Boy and Dog

Buddy launches himself,
arrives before
himself,

crashes into the sofa
and collapses
already chattering.

Above us,
on the high bookshelf
bobble head Snoopy is

frozen at attention
arms at his sides
feet stuck to skis.

His round, black eyes
peer over the shelf
tracking my son.

Buddy dashes back
into the kitchen
in need of fuel.

Snoopy bobs
his head in time
to rattling dishes.

-Andromeda Jazmon

Friday Poetry is being rounded up at Madigaan Reads.  Don't miss all the fantastic poetry being shared all this month around the kidlitosphere! Please come back here later today, and every day  for my daily haibun haiku post.

11 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

I really like this.

Irene Latham said...

I am so interested in everyone's responses to Sage Cohen's book. And I think whenever you can get a dog and a bobblehead into one poem, it's a good day! Thanks for sharing!

Brimful Curiosities said...

You surprised me with your bobble head Snoopy. He sounds like a very sensitive dog.

Doraine Bennett said...

Love this! A great response to that prompt. I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of Laura and Susan's weekly blog. It has gotten me writing poetry again, even with a bit of direction, and that's a good thing.

Author Amok said...

I love the line "arrives before himself." I can see it. I've lived it with my son.

tanita davis said...

crashes - collapses - already chattering.

Love, love, love it.

Tara said...

I am going to have to check this book out...your poem had me chuckling!

Robyn Hood Black said...

A line like "arrives before himself" in the same poem with a bobblehead Snoopy gets my vote. (I recently received the Sage Cohen book as well but haven't had time to jump in.) Great job!

Mary Lee said...

All that energy!
I'm sure Snoopy's head isn't the only one shaking when the dishes rattle!

laurasalas said...

Andi, I love, love, love Buddy arriving before himself!

This is great--thanks for sharing:>)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

LOL You have to imaging this boy and his energy. Snoopy was frozen in plastic but I could just about hear him panting with eagerness to jump down and chase him around. I just sat there at watched...

Glad you all were amused my this poem!