Saturday, April 02, 2011

tea haibun

Many years ago I was in China teaching English and had the opportunity to travel around the country. I found these 2" clay figures, or "mud men" as they are called sometimes, in a dusty little shop in Tianjin. The art form goes back to the 19th century, when they were made for bonsai and miniature gardens. I am enchanted by the expressions on these gentlemen's faces. Their conversation, whether it is on poetry or philosophy or the recent rain, is so animated I lean in to overhear.

gentlemen at tea

during spring rain
have you another story?
our tea grows cold

-Andromeda Jazmon

I am posting haibun, or haiku + photo + short prose, every day in April as part of National Poetry Month. See what others in the kidlitosphere are doing here. Enjoy a little extra poetry today!


tanita davis said...

Those are precious!!!

jama said...

Love your mud men! Perfect haiku. ♥

Lone Star Ma said...

I love this!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Thanks, I am enjoying them all over again. They've been in the cabinet for a long time but I have been overlooking them lately. It's nice to take things out and dust them off once in a while, KWIM?

Bob Hale said...

And very resonant for me at the moment. I have just accepted a teaching post in China for a year from August.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Bob that is wonderful! I wish you the very best. You are going to love it there!