Friday, December 03, 2010

haiku for hard times

It's been a rough week here at A Wrung Sponge. I've gotten a lot of bad news lately and we are reeling. I heard I will be laid off from my school library job, along with six of my teaching colleagues, due to dropping enrollment. I am job hunting again, and BTW if you hear of any Librarian job openings, please pass on the news!

Then my furnace developed some serious problems and we were without heat for several chilly days & nights, until we could get a new one put it. Do you have any idea how expensive a new furnace is? Right before Christmas when you are unsure of your employment future? sheesh.

The third shoe dropped: Yesterday my oldest son, who is in the Air Force, and for whom we have been counting the days until he got leave and could come home to see us, emailed me that he would not be home for Christmas. We are devastated at the news. Suddenly things are looking a lot less cheery around here.

THEN my car check engine light came on. The service dept. at the dealer recommended bringing it in this morning because they are unsure of what is happening in that hybrid complexity that seemed like such a good idea last summer. So that's where I will be, with two kids entertaining themselves, instead of my morning's work.

Alrighty then. Let's look around for some light and dig a little deeper for reason to rejoice. I have to remember the classical haiku poets who did not have central heat, or retirement plans, or any kind of vehicle. I am standing on my faith that God has good plans for us. And I am seeking rest in simple beauty.


Just weeds
beside the road glowing
cricket song

  -Andromeda Jazmon


Light catches
along the ribs of harvest
seeds humming

  -Andromeda Jazmon


ETA: Saturday morning I thought of another haiku for the third picture:

Bare trees
reflected in the creek
colors deepen

  -Andromeda Jazmon

Check out the Friday Poetry roundup at Miss Rumphius for more poetry therapy.


Kohana said...

And then there was God! I can't help but think sometimes the challenges we face are just ripe opportunities for explosions of grace into our lives. I'll be thinking of you!

Lone Star Ma said...

I'm so sorry! Much love and Light to you. The poems are beautiful.

A Teaching Life said...

These were beautiful...any words of comfort will sound so cliched in the face of this rough week - my thoughts are with your family and your son so far away in this Christmas season.

jama said...

((Hugs)) Andi. When it rains it pours! My heart goes out to you and your boys.

Author Amok said...

Thank you for reminding me to look for those places where light catches.

Hang in there, Andi. A
friend gave me the best fridge magnet for tough times: "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

Tabatha said...

Dang, Andi, that stinks. At least you can get some good poetry out of it ;-)
Email me your mailing address. I'd like to send you a poem.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Thanks for all these hugs & kind words!! The car is going to be OK, just needs some work next week. But it will be OK.

I love that - "If it's not OK, it's not the end!!" I am holding on to that one!

Judith said...

Your photographs are very beautiful and your poetry has peacefulness and quiet in them. Thanks for sharing them. - Judy Lindenberger

Ruth said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all your recent setbacks! Thanks for responding the way you do - with beauty.

Carlie said...

Such wonderful little gems you've created in the middle of your bleak time. Thanks for sharing your poetry and your vulnerable self. It's good to know that we're not all alone in our hard times. Sending you lots of love, through the bitter December night tonight.

Carol said...

The poems and haiku are beautiful. So sorry that this has been such a rough week. I am praying one of my favorite verses from Ephesians 3, that you will know the height and breadth and depth of God's love in new and amazing ways, and that He will comfort and hold you. Hugs and prayers from Colorado!

Lilian said...

Oh dear friend, I'm sorry to hear about the layoff. I'll be praying that you can find a good job soon! We went through very tough times in the past 3 years (I don't know how much you followed from my blog), but the Lord was good and everything worked out.

I'm glad to hear that the car will be ok, but I'm sorry your oldest son won't be coming home for the holidays. :(

I wish there was something I could do to help. Lovely photos and poems, as always!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

These comments are such a lift to my spirits this morning!! Thank you all dear friends for being here & bringing your cheer & caring.

Elaine Magliaro said...


I'm so sorry to hear all your bad news--especially about your job and your son not being able to be with you at Christams. I hope things will get better for you soon.

Vasilly said...

I am so sorry about having so much put on your shoulders right now! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. If I hear anything, I'll pass it on.

Mary Lee said...

I love Author Amok's quote! Good to remember.

You have found an amazing amount of visual and poetic beauty in spite of your circumstances. You ARE amazing. Stay tough. Keep your head up and your eyes and heart open for what the Universe has in mind for you.

laurasalas said...

Andi--I love "ribs of harvest." Just like our skeletons support our bodies, your faith and ability to see beauty supports you and your family. Hugs and wishes for better news all around soon!

Cynthia Leitich Smith said...

Sending hugs and warm thoughts! I'm so sorry you've had a rough time lately.

Are you on Twitter? I do see librarian job postings in my stream on occasion. Or if you let me know your geographic situation, I'm happy to keep an eye out for you!

Roberto Neyva said...

Hi, Andy!

You're a special person and a competent professional.
Soon everything can cuddle.
Good luck and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for you and your children.
Your Brazilian friend
Roberto Neyva

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you 2 Roberto!! Good to see you here!!

Cynthia, I am following you on Twitter & I am keeping an eye open for librarian job news. Thanks for the suggestion!

MotherReader said...

Sorry that the bad keeps happening. Wishing you a better tomorrow.

Toby Speed said...

Andi, sorry to hear about these very tough times you're having. A window will open soon, when you least expect it. Sending you some rays of sunshine meantime, and I love your haiku and photographs.

Lilian said...

Hmmm... another Brazilian friend? Well, I'd recommend having as many as you can (but of course I'm obviously very partial & I'd love to have more friends from my country here in the U.S.). I just thought it was curious! :)