Monday, December 20, 2010

Gift Books for Black Boys

My boys are five and eight, in kindergarten and second grade. I searched around for newer early chapter books with Black boys as main characters. We have read most of the old favorites and I always want to find something new for them for Christmas gifts. It wouldn't be a perfect holiday without some new reads under the tree! Here is what I found after reading posts at The Brown Bookshelf. Do you have any other suggestions? Have you read any of these with kids? What do you think?


The Low-Down, Bad-Day Blues, by Derrick Barnes

Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It by Sundee Frazier

Kick Off! by Tiki & Ronde Barber

Kwanzaa Activities, Crafts, Recipes & More!

Seven Spools of Thread by Anglea Shelf Medearis

Wood Hoopoe Willie by Virginia Kroll

6 comments:

Stacy said...

How about Sterling Biographies biography of Frederick Douglas? http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Biographies-Frederick-Douglass-Slavery/dp/1402741189/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1292956867&sr=8-18

MayhemMama said...

We have Seven Spools of Thread and like it. (So do the boys, which is really the point!)

We also have two books by Tiki and Rhonde Barber. They are Game Day and By My Brother's Side. When I first saw them I didn't care for them. There is a lot of description of various football plays... What could be more boring? My mom got them for the boys and they LOVE them! There are good themes about how brothers stick together and support each other, having courage to keep trying, and (of course, with all sports books right?) teamwork!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Mayhem, thanks for telling us that. I also got Game Day and Wild Card for my boys. I have no interest in Football at all, but of course the boys are fascinated with it. I think they are really going to like these books!

Beth said...

My son likes the Barber football books, even though he wouldn't doesn't play or watch football. Maybe it's a Y chromosome thing? I like the Buckley book, but my kids wouldn't pick it up. They didn't like the cover.

What did your guys end up getting?

Beth said...

My son likes the Barber football books, even though he wouldn't doesn't play or watch football. Maybe it's a Y chromosome thing? I like the Buckley book, but my kids wouldn't pick it up. They didn't like the cover.

What did your guys end up getting?

Deborah said...

Do you know the Akimbo books, by Alexander McCall Smith? They're short chapter books about a boy whose dad is a ranger in a Wildlife Preserve in an unnamed African country. In "Akimbo and the Lion" he finds and raises a lion cub, but then must send it back to the wild. He tries his own scheme to stop poachers in "Akimbo and the Elephants."