Friday, December 10, 2010

for Friday Poetry in Advent: Mary's Song

by Luci Shaw

Blue homespun and the bend of my breast
keep warm this small hot naked star
fallen to my arms. (Rest…
you who have had so far to come.)
Now nearness satisfies
the body of God sweetly. Quiet he lies
whose vigor hurled a universe. He sleeps
whose eyelids have not closed before.

...read the rest here at Google books. This poem is in the book Accompanied by Angels: Poems of the Incarnation (Eerdman's 2006), which is a collection of her Advent poems that she has included in Christmas cards over the years. This poem has been put to music by Knut Nystedt and is sung by the Electra Choir of Vancover on the CD Child of Grace. What I love about this poem is that it brings me right into the room with Mary, and makes the miracle of Christmas real in the gut.

Enjoy more poetry this weekend at the round up at jama rattigan's alphabet soup.

12 comments:

tanita davis said...

Oh, this poem is gorgeous, one of my favorites.

Lone Star Ma said...

Lovely.

Ruth said...

I love Luci Shaw. Thanks for this.

jama said...

Luci Shaw is new to me. "Mary's Song" blows me away. WOW! SO beautiful.

Doraine Bennett said...

This is so beautiful. It truly captures the wonder of God With Us. Blessings in this season. And thanks for introducing me to this.

Mary Lee said...

You're right. This poem makes the miracle even more real!

Carlie said...

Note to self: Look up more from this Luci Shaw. Thanks for sharing. Never thought of writing Biblical poetry. What a cool idea.

laurasalas said...

He sleeps
whose eyelids have not closed before.

Oh my. :>) Thanks for this one.

michelle said...

Oh, that is beautiful!

Suzanne said...

I love this poem. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Suzanne said...

P.S. Luci and I used to attend the same church; she is a lovely lovely person.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Suzanne I remember you told me that before and I have often enjoyed Luci's poetry on your blog. I was thinking of you when I posted this! She is friends with my parents and in high school she read some of my poetry and gave me good, helpful advice. She really is a lovely person!