Friday, October 08, 2010

Nefarious Silliness for Hallowilloween

Another fun thing I did at ALA in DC this past summer was to attend the Poetry Blast. Poet, artist and illustrator Calef Brown was there reading from his newest book Hallowilloween. He memorizes his poems, which are long and rambling and absolutely hilarious. His delivery is spot on. He had us rolling in the aisles. You can hear him reading on YouTube.



Since my boys and I have just finished listening to Dahl's Great Glass Elevator on audio book, my favorite Halloween poem for today is this one: (Listen toward the end of the video to hear it read aloud.)

The Oompachupa Loompachabra

The Oompachupa Loompacabra
roams the western plains.
On moonless nights
it captures goats
and gobbles up their brains.
"It lures its prey
with chocolate bars,"
a local man explains.
"Horns and hooves
and candy wrappers -
little else remains."

The illustrations are completely nefarious and silly and delightful. The color scheme alone is enough to make my love this book, let alone the facial expressions. This is a great book for Halloween fun with children 5 to 10 years old.

I was amazed at the scope and magnitude of Brown's other work. Check it out at his website!

The Friday Poetry round up is over at Carol's Corner. Enjoy!

7 comments:

jama said...

I'm a longtime Calef Brown fan. What a mind! I love how his work jolts me out of complacency and makes me stand on my head. Thanks for sharing the video. Love his droll delivery and amazing memorization skills . . .

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Perfect timing and how much fun is this video? I wish wish wish he had read the shrunken head poem at the Poetry Blast--my son is Duncan I mean Dunken!

Time to order some books....

Mary Lee said...

Boy can this guy ramble in rhyme! I'm SO impressed by all that memorization!

Marjorie said...

If the cat on the cover is anything to go by, I can see what you mean about the expressions! My 9-year-old will love this poem -and the video. A treat for tomorrow, I think :-)

Elaine Magliaro said...

I picked up a copy of HALLOWILLOWEEN recently. I think kids will love it. My daughter used to get so excited about Halloween when she was little. She always loved spooky things--especially scary movies. She'd spend weeks decorating the house for Halloween.
She's thirty know ans still loves this holiday.

david elzey said...

wow. until now i'd never thought to troll youtube for videos of poets reading their own work, and this is a perfect example of why i should. love calif brown's oddness. thanks, this was great and inspirational, in an odd way.

Author Amok said...

Hi, Andromeda. We are HUGE Calef Brown fans. My kids love his kooky rhymes. Can't wait to see this book.