Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday Poetry: In the Wild

by David Elliott, illustrated by Holly Meade. Candlewick, 2010. We just got this lovely poetry collection in our school library. It started circulating immediately and I had to snag it in between kids in order to read it myself. Fabulous woodcut illustrations with colorful watercolor embelishments. The cover is compelling and each animal inspired poem draws you in deeper. Take a look at the zebra poem at Elliott's website. My favorite:

Big, yet moves
with grace.
Powerful, yet delicate
as lace.

As to color, plain -
an ordinary gray.
But once we start to look,
we cannot look away.

When peaceful, silent;
when angry, loud.

Who would have guessed
the Elephant
is so much like a cloud?

That speaks to me and I am sure kids feel it too:

When peaceful, silent;
when angry, loud.

Amen! This book is also reviewed at Bookends, the Booklist Online blog, where Cindy favored the same poem as me. If you live near Portsmouth, NH you are in for a treat as David Elliott will be at the River Run Bookstore for a reading and book signing on Nov. 6, 2010.

Look for this volume and celebrate some wildness this Halloween weekend with a child near you. also check out the companion book On the Farm, also by David Elliott and Holly Meade.

The Friday Poetry round up is hosted by Toby at The Writer's Armchair today.  Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Toby Speed said...

Such a simple poem, and so true. Thanks for this review, Andi. I will look for "In the Wild" at my library. Enjoy your weekend!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Hi, Andi--

I'm excited to bring this in when my first-graders do their animal studies later in the year! I love this kind of poem which, built on the utterly concrete, then takes readers to a metaphoric plane.

Mary Lee said...

I loved this one as much (maybe more) than On the Farm.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Yes Heidi! That is exactly what I love about it. He does it so well, too! Would make a good mentor text for students modeling their poetry.

laurasalas said...

Can't wait to read this one, Andi! And the poem you shared (lovely) reminds me of Tracie Vaughn Zimmer's forthcoming book, Cousins of Clouds: Elephant Poems. Another one I can't wait to read!