Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reading Wimpy Kid



Buddy, age 8: "Mom, did you know I'm reading that Wimpy Kid book?"

Me: "No, I didn't know that. Do you like it? Where did you get it?"

Buddy: "At the library. It's great. (pause) Did you know it's inappropriate?"

Me: "Um, I wondered about that. What do you think is inappropriate?"

Buddy: "Well they leave this cheese in the basketball court. And then one of them gets the cheese touch because it's been sitting there for years and years and years. And he gets naked."

Me: "Oh? When does he get naked?"

Buddy: "I don't know yet I haven't got to that part."

Me: "Oh. Are there any words in there you don't know?"

Buddy: "Yeah but it's OK I just scroll past them."

5 comments:

tanita davis said...

...um...
I think I'm as confused as he is. I gave my sister the first two books in the series, and I don't remember a cheese touch...!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

LOL I have to admit I haven't actually read them myself. I just think it's funny what he has picked up from them when they are clearly beyond his reading level. He is using the computer term "scroll past" in place of "skim" or "guessing from context" I think. Interesting! ;)

Jessica Fenster-Sparber said...

Hilarious and adorable!

diber said...

I thought the scroll thing was fascinating and hilarious. :)

Mary Lee said...

His scrolling comment reminds me of Lane Smith's IT'S A BOOK!!

Tanita, There's definitely cheese touch in these books, and I often have to "take" the cheese touch away from my fourth graders after recess so that they can safely navigate around the room without having their fingers crossed!

Nakedness? That I don't remember at all!