Thursday, April 15, 2010

National Poetry Month: lilacs

figs & lilacs 010
after dinner chores
when the lilacs are in bloom;
stop a while & breathe

-Andromeda Jazmon

Last night we ate out on the patio and then had a fire in the chimenea. The kids had been skateboarding, biking and scooting all up and down the street in the late afternoon. We gathered around the table to share a quick meal and catch up on our day. It is such a pleasure, after a long day of bustling and taking care of details, to slow down and just watch the light slide across the grass. I kept needing to wander by the lilac bushes and stop to breathe. Mercy.


deowriter said...

Ah, lilacs. Smelling them yesterday at school I remebered I needed to check on mine to see if they are blooming. They are baby shrubs and might not be yet.

Elaine Magliaro said...

I wish I had lilacs growing in my yard. They bring back memories of childhood. My maternal grandparents hads lots of lilacs growing along their driveway and in their side yard. My parents planted a row of them as a border between our backyard and the neighbor's. I miss the sight and scent of them in spring.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

You know my mom said something similar when she read this haiku. I think there is something really comforting about them, as well as the sweetness. I have moved a bunch of volunteers that came into my yard from the neighbor's, and now they run all along the property line. Every year they get bigger and better!