Saturday, March 27, 2010

Loveliest of Trees

fifty springs

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide. 

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more. 

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

-A. E. Housman

My cherries are about to burst into bloom. National Poetry Month is about to start. The Kidlitosphere is getting geared up to celebrate with all kinds of poetry type posts; more to come on that in a few days! I have been busy with my school library work, grad school work and family fun as my youngest turns five. Time to slow down and plan to leave some empty time just for gazing at cherry blossoms, wandering the garden among the daffodils and roasting marshmallows over the backyard firepit on those long lingering spring evenings...

Take some time yourself to browse the poetry posted this weekend; the round up is hosted by The Drift Record/Julie Larios.


Delphyne said...

Just beautiful - picture and poem. The cherry trees in NJ are just beginning to decorate themselves in the Spring finery - a gorgeous sight to behold.

Mary Lee said...

I love that A.E. Houseman's birthday was just the other day -- and here's his meditation on aging and carpe diem-ing and cherries perfect timing with the season and the blooming!!

Lone Star Ma said...


Andromeda Jazmon said...

Thanks for these comments! I'm glad you all are enjoying the spring as much as I am. Mary Lee, thanks for reminding me of A. E.'s birthday - March 26, 1859. I should have mentioned that in the post! It's also the same birthday of Robert Frost (1874) Writer's Almanac

pualau said...

That's beautiful cherry blossom.
We can see cherry blossom a little bit in Japan.

Vijay Chakravarthy said...

Great Great Great Blog

Your blog is so excellent. I am your regular reader of your blog.

I follow your blog. I like your way of posting.

Hey i am interesting in adding your
in my blog

I am honored to add it to my Great Blogs list.

Will you add my blog in your blog list.

Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

Please reply friend.

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your

Best regards,

Mike Thomas