Friday, March 05, 2010

Friday Poetry: Roundeau Redoublé

I've been inspired again by my Poetry Sisters - six amazing poet women who keep challenging each other to try new forms and test new poetic waters. Roundeau Redouble is a form I've never attempted before. It tremendously difficult! It sounds simple enough; six stanzas with a simple rhyme where stanzas two through six repeat a line from the first stanza. (Kelly explains it better.) The key is to write a really kicking first stanza. That's where I spent most of my time struggling. I've been revising it right up to the last minute. But it's time to t publish! Click over to Tanita Davis, Kelly Fineman, Sara Lewis Holmes, Laura Purdie Salas and Liz Garton Scanlon's blogs to read their poems for the full effect. (Trisha is taking some time out on this round.) And stop by  Danika at the for the Friday Poetry Round up. Enjoy your weekend - spring is coming!

A note about the flower pictured: snowdrops (galanthus) are a late winter/early spring bulb that flower in February or March in my neighborhood. This year they were covered with snow until just recently, but i have some in my yard in bloom today. They are known to actually produce a heat in the growing tips of green, which melts the frozen ground and snow and ice in order for them to push out and grow. Amazing, don't you think?

snopdrop march 1

    Snowdrop's Fire


    A bud's a precious hopeful thing.
    A sword of tender heat cuts bones of snow;
    drawn as the tide of mud screams "spring"!
    Come weary children; shelter in its glow.
    Ancient seed, defeat the cold and grow; 
    far spheres new circles start as petals fling
    rough ice from raging fire drawn deep & low.
    A bud's a precious hopeful thing
    as bold as red that flashes on the wing. 
    Relentless though the winds still blow,
    light's longer days each leaf will bring.
    A sword of tender heat cuts bones of snow.
    Do not despair, trust what the feathers know.
    Slow shifting in the heavens; bright bells ring
    announcing melting ice. Cracked crystals flow,
    drawn as the tide of mud screams "spring"!
    Come round this fire and jingle in its bling!
    God's surging glory all their jangles show.
    The blossoms' brazen throats in chorus sing.
    Come weary children; shelter in it's glow.
    Let's linger on the path, our footsteps slow -
    reset our cadence to the snowdrop's swing
    receive the blessing of this fragile row
    to this wild hope our hungry hearts still cling.
    Come weary children!

...........- Andromeda Jazmon


laurasalas said...

Oh, beautiful!

My very favorite line:

a sword of tender heat cuts bones of snow

Though there are so many gorgeous, visceral phrases in here. It strikes me that the very same description could be applied to a fantastic poem !

Sara said...

Yes, Laura's right. What a gorgeous, visceral line. Although, this one, with its alliteration and lilting cadence, seals the deal for me:

"light's longer days each leaf will bring"

Your ability to see the grace of the world in a flower continually amazes me.

Kelly Fineman said...

I did not realize that snowdrops generated heat - I've always wondered how they manage to turn up so early! (I think mine are up now too.)

Lovely lines, Andi. And I like the way you "cheated" on the ending with "come weary children" - it works well with your poem. And with my sentiment about this particular snowy winter!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Ah, that is beautiful.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Thank you friends, for pulling out these snippets. I am feeling a bit ragged from the process and can no longer see through a breathless blur. What a rush!

jama said...

So lovely, Andi! What a challenging form -- I bow to you. I especially like the second stanza :).

tanita davis said...

Do not despair, trust what the feathers know.

Truly - that's what I try to do. Remember that the natural world actually has the 411 on when the seasons are changing - watch the birds, watch the branches, watch for buds.

But you said it just so much more succinctly and beautifully than I could have managed!

liz-scanlon said...

Andi... You are the kind of poet who can use the word cadence and have it feel totally organic and spot on. Especially when you pair it with your amazing photographs.

I love this all and am with Laura, I think. I worship the phrase "bones of snow"...

Thank you...

Mary Lee said...

Drifts are finally melting here, too. No snowdrops yet, but when they come, I will never be able to look at them again without thinking, "a sword of tender heat cuts bones of snow"!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Driving around here I can't stop seeing the sooty banks of snow that will take forever to really melt away. I wanted to say "charred bone of snow" but couldn't fit it in. I'm so glad it works the way it is! *she heaves a heavy sigh & pushes away the keyboard*

Thanks for all these kind words my friends!

Jeannine Atkins said...

Lovely. Thanks for the encouragement to reset our cadence to the snowdrops swing. And for something to enjoy while I'm awaiting not only early blooms but a more snow-free site for them to show up in.

Cavatica said...

I gave you a blogging award. Do with it what you will, but I just wanted to express my appreciation. You do a nice thing here. :-)

Laura said...


Wow, what an excellent poem. I didn't know snowdrops generated their own heat! Amazing.

BTW: I love Basho, too. Also, I love Issa for the little things.


Sherry said...

Since you're a poetry lover, I'd like to invite you and your readers to join in on my poetry survey. I am looking for a list of your 10 favorite classic poems. Read more about it here.

P. Ionescu said...

the snowdrops are very popular and loved in my country, ROMANIA.