Friday, January 01, 2010

A Decade Retrospective

clementine haiku

My friend Liz posted about what she was doing ten years ago, and how far she's come in the last decade, which of coursed made me want to do the same. Once you start thinking of all that's happened since 2000 came flying in it's hard not to want to write a list.

In January of the year 2000 I was:

40 years old
living in an appartment
the mother of one son
a person with two cats
owner of a brand new Honda Civic
thinking/dreaming of adopting more kids
in my ninth year of teaching first grade
starting to dye my hair for the first time ever
just beginning to think about becoming a librarian
applying to grad school for a second masters degree
unaware that I am Celiac and should never consume any gluten from wheat, rye or barley

In January of the year 2010 I am:

50 years old
the mother of three sons
living in my own house
a person with no pets
owner of the same (paid in full) Civic
adoptive mom in a multiracial family
in my tenth year as an elementary school librarian
no longer dying my hair; letting my grey flag fly
a kidlit blogger active in web 2.0 social media sites
planning to finish the MLS completely online
knowledgeable about Celiac, cooking gluten free and good at it
a cancer survivor & healthier and stronger than ever before

What about you? How would you list the changes in the last ten years? Leave me a comment or a link and I'll come read your post.

7 comments:

Lilian said...

Happy New Year, my friend! It was very interesting to read about the changes in your life in the past decade. I'm considering doing a year by year retrospective of the decade, but maybe I'll post it tomorrow.

I'm a bit sad that we didn't get to see each other in 2009 (neither in 08) :-(. But I'll make my best to make it happen in 2010!

Tricia said...

Okay, can I just say--50?! I thought for sure I was one of the senior members of our little poetry group. You sure as hell don't look (or act) 50!

Here's wishing you a really happy and healthy 2010.

tanita davis said...

wOw. Someday you'll have to talk about what possessed you to want more kids when you were well on your way to peace and quiet! Happy New Year - you've achieved much in ten years. Here's to ten more productive and fruitful, photograph and poetry-filled years.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Lilian - yes let's definitely get together soon! I am looking forward to reading your retrospective.

Trisha - LOL I think this is what 50 is supposed to feel like - really! Every decade seems to get better & better.

Tanita - I occasionally do ask myself that same question, but then one look at these boys and I am filled with gratitude for the craziness of a house full of kids. Plenty of time for peace & quiet later...

Charlotte said...

Gosh, reading your post made me realize that in January of 2000 I had no children.........which changed a few months later!

Happy New Year!

Lone Star Ma said...

Yours is a lovely retrospective. I don't want to add my own, but did want to say how much I like your clementine poem - very much! Happy New Year!

liz-scanlon said...

Andi. This is so moving to me. Amazing, isn't it, what's actually happening while we're living our lives? I wish a clementinian year for you, too. You deserve it!