Friday, August 21, 2009

A Day's Ramble

Haiku and photos from our day at the park:

aug. 21 013

hazy heat
trapped between creekside trees
and their reflection

-Andromeda Jazmon

aug. 21 007

stepping rock to rock
across cool rushing water;
leaping the gaps

-Andromeda Jazmon

My oldest friend from childhood was in town this week. We spent some time hiking in a local state park. While the little boys threw rocks and gathered sticks we caught up on our lives and relaxed into rambling conversations. There is nothing like an old friendship for grounding you in where you are right at this minute.

aug. 21 016

gate's hinge pin
rusted, slanted, cobwebbed,
holds the arc

-Andromeda Jazmon

I hope you are relishing these last days of summer and finding renewal in your ramblings. The Friday Poetry roundup is hosted by Kyle at The Boy Reader Enjoy!


Author Amok said...

I love your "hazy heat" haiku -- feeling that in B'more! So true about old friends grounding us.

jone said...

OOh that looks like a wonderful place to be! Really like the hinge haiku.

jama said...

Gorgeous photos and haiku, as usual, Andi. Love the reflections in the hazy heat pic.

Yat-Yee said...

How you keep coming up with these gorgeous, gorgeous photographs and perfect haiku just amazes me. Thanks so much for the beauty.

ANovelMenagerie said...

Congratulations! Your blog has been nominated for a 2009 BBAW Award. If you could be so kind as to email me your email address, I'll send you a short email about it.

BBAW Awards Committee

Lilian said...

I'm glad you had such a lovely time! I don't have many childhood friends and I hardly ever see the ones I have. I'm sure you cherished these moments together.

Color Online said...

Coming here is always feels like a slice of meditation and renewal.

Thanks, Andromeda.

Color Online said...

I nominated you. :-)

Good luck.

Yat-Yee said...

" a slice of meditation and renewal" perfectly described.

Mary Lee said...

I love the geometry of the gate photo -- the hard, straight lines and then the messy spider webs to soften those lines. Seems like life: looking all hard and fast, but really soft and messy when you get right down to the truth of it...

I hope you're feeling better!

laurasalas said...

Andi, I love how all three of these poems deal with what's in the gap--the hazy heat, the rocks, the hinge pin. Did you know that when you were writing them? Or just realize it afterward?

Anyway, a lovely trilogy of poems about connections and things that fill the not-so-empty spaces. I love the rock one especially!

Elaine Magliaro said...


I agree about old friendships. My husband and I were up in Maine last week. We invited some old friends to join us for part of our stay. We had a grand time.

Actaully I've spent a lot of time with old friends this summer--and on Sunday I attended my 45th high school reunion.

Love your photos--and haiku!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Thank you all for these lovely comments! And thank you Susan for nominating my blog for the BBAW!

Laura, I was thinking about my old friendship and how we have had to skip over so much that separated us. But still the bonds continue... Somehow it's the gaps that accentuate the strength of the ties. Ya know? I guess that's why the theme in the haiku.

Elaine, Wow 45 years! That is something to celebrate!

Saints and Spinners said...

Lovely. Truly.