Friday, June 26, 2009

Abecedarian Poem

Mom I Love

Blessed are the Broken-Hearted

Another
beatitude
called out;
discovered
even, through
faith.
Give
heed.
I
just
know it is
love that
moves us.
Not
only
puzzles us,
quite
radically
saves us.
Truly
unruly,
verily, reliably,
while
x-ing the street -
you are
zapped!

- Andromeda Jazmon

The Monday Poetry Stretch this week at Miss Rumphius Effect was to write an abecedarian poem. I've enjjoyed this form ever since I read Robert Pinksy's Every Body Can Die (click & scroll down to read it). One of my ambitions is to write a really killer ABC poem. Pinsky's poem is a little different than this form, as every word in the poem follows the alphabet sequence, and we are just doing the first word in the line alphabetically, but it is a similar form.

Check out the other Poetry Stretch Results here, and visit the Friday Poetry Round up being hosted by Kelly Herold at Crossover. Enjoy your summer weekend!

9 comments:

jama said...

Wonderful, Andi. "love that moves us." :)

Sara said...

I love the sound of:

"Truly
unruly,
verily, reliably"

And "Mom I love" is a keeper!

Mary Lee said...

Love the twist at the end! I'm wondering if love zapped me crossing the street or if I got zapped in spite of love's ability to "radically save" me?!?

Andromeda Jazmon said...

MaryLee, I think it's both!

About the artwork: My 6 yo son Buddy did that picture for me when I was recovering from cancer surgery last winter. He was at a friend's house (who is an art teacher) one afternoon to give me a chance to nap. It's a fire truck & driver. This morning he pointed to the blue lines and told me: "That's the rain. It is blocking the sun."

Lone Star Ma said...

Beautiful.

Yat-Yee said...

It is a killer ABC poem. I love it. And the picture drawn by your son: brings tears to my eyes.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Excellent! I wanna get zapped.

laurasalas said...

Gorgeous, Andi. I especially love:

Not
only
puzzles us,
quite
radically
saves us.

And the way the rhythm strolls and flows--almost like soft rap.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Andi,

You are the master of every poetic form you "stretch" yourself to write. Thanks for always sharing your heartfelt poetry with us.