Friday, June 05, 2009

48 Hour Book Challenge: Starting NOW! #48hbc

Starting my weekend of reading off with Lyn Miller-Lachmann's gringolandia. I am about halfway through and expect to finish it tonight. So far I really like the characters, which are drawn complex and very human. I am also fascinated with what I am learning about Chile. From the author's website:
Daniel’s father used to play soccer, dance the cueca, and drive his kids to school in a beat-up taxi…while publishing an underground newspaper that exposed Chile’s military regime.

After Papá’s arrest in 1980, Daniel’s family fled to Wisconsin. Now Daniel has a new life, playing lead guitar in a rock band and dating Courtney, a minister’s daughter.

When his father is released and rejoins the family, Daniel sees what five years of prison and torture in a brutal police state have done. Papá is partially paralyzed, haunted by nightmares, and bitter about exile in “Gringolandia.” Daniel worries that Courtney’s scheme to start a human rights newspaper could bring back Papá’s past and drive him further into alcohol abuse and self-destruction. Daniel dreams of a real father-son relationship, but he may have to give up everything to save his papá’s life.

This powerful coming-of-age story portrays an immigrant teen’s struggle to reach his tortured father and find his place in the world.

This is my first post for the 4th annual Mother Reader 49 Hour Reading Challenge tonight. Rules are here, Prizes are listed here, and Starting Line is here. I'd like to add one more prize: I will donate a framed 5x7 print of one of my favorite photos and original haiku to the person who raises the most money for a Greater Good cause.

I am going to be putting up short posts on all the books I read. For every unique, meaningful comment I receive on those posts I will donate $1 to Bridget Zinn's medical fund. Bridget is a Young Adult author, librarian and book blogger who is in expensive cancer treatment. Many kidlit bloggers have come together to offer support for her and I am happy to join in. If you can come by this weekend and comment on the books I'm reading you can be part of that too. If you are doing the 48 Hour Reading challenge let me know and I'll come and follow you too!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Good luck with the challenge and that is a great charity/cause you are supporting. It is great to see a community come together to help someone who is in need.

I'm starting the challenge in a little while. It is my first one and I am looking forward to it.

ReadingTub said...

Best of luck with the challenge ... and what a great idea for a prize. Your photography stops me dead in my tracks every time I see it!

Shannansbooks said...

Good luck. I will support you along the way.

Doret said...

Good Luck with the challenge. I'll keep checking in go be prepared to donate.

Lyn Miller-Lachmann said...

I'm honored that you've chosen my novel to start your 48-hour challenge, and I thank you for your efforts to help Bridget.

For those who'd like to learn more about Chile at that time, I've posted a Teacher's Guide on my web site, web.mac.com/lynml; it contains an annotated list of other books, films, and Internet sites. I'm now reading Heraldo Munoz's memoir, The Dictator's Shadow: Life Under Augusto Pinochet, which was published last fall. In addition to covering the period of Pinochet's rule, 1973-1990, Munoz describes efforts to prosecute the general for crimes against humanity up to Pinochet's death in December 2006.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Lyn, Thanks so much for coming and commenting. I am glad you gave us that link. I was feeling kinda bad that I hadn't spend more time on this post and given more links, cause your website is so good. There is so much more that could be said and I hope lots more people read your book!! Great teacher's guide.

Rasco from RIF said...

I have finished my time on the Challenge and am cruising sites more now than I allowed myself during the Challenge. This is my first book challenge of any kind and I am so glad I participated...I have read great books, learned so much, and met new friends through their sites and their blogs. I will be sharing your site with two on the RIF staff who help oversee our multicultural initiative, and I was delighted to learn from Lyn's comment about her site and all that is there. Thank you!

Laughing Stars said...

Happy reading!