Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Slide show from Flickr

The first thing I saw this morning in my Twitter stream was "carolinerocheCogDogRoo - 50 Ways to tell a digital story http://cogdogroo.wikispaces... via www.diigo.com."

I had to check that out since I am always looking for new things to do in the computer lab with students. PowerPoint is so old. We need to revamp our curriculum for digital literacies. We want to use a wide variety of tools to help students master the principles of digital citizenship while learning the tech skills and integrating the rest of the school curriculum. Presenting their work in interactive, online enviroments is where it's at. Digital storytelling can be as simple as putting images in a sequence with or without audio and text to tell a story or present information. Just to experiment with one of the easiest tools I made a Flickr set of all my wisteria photos and in about ten minutes had a slide show that illustrates the growth of this amazing vine on the edge of my porch.

It's not really a presentation or a story yet, as it hasn't any text or sound, but it's a start. I think I could work it up into something nice. I am going to experiment with these tools more over the summer and see what I can use with students next fall. What could you do with these digital storytelling/presentation tools? Book trailers? Story teling? Poetry? Family history? Adoption lifebook? 50th anniversary party slideshow? Jump in with your ideas!

1 comment:

Franki said...

I agree--I have to spend some time creating digital stories of my own--learning the new tools out there. So many options.
Thanks for sharing.