Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Poem for Earth Day

new maple leaves

My window opens on the world
where all things green have room to grow.
My gaze looks out on flags unfurled;
my window opens on the world.
Jade hands that once in fists were curled
now joyful resurrection show.
My window opens on the world
where all things green have room to grow.

-Andromeda Jazmon

Miss Rumphius has challenged us this week to write a poem about what we see outside our window. My window looks out on this maple tree just bursting into leaf. The day the maple leaves emerge is always like the true heart of spring for me; this year it happened right next to Earth day! My poem is a triolet. Check out the comments on Trisha's challenge post to see some awesome window poems by other poets, and check back later in the week at Miss Rumphius for her round up post.

If you haven't been reading Trisha's Poetry Makers series you have a treat in store. She is interviewing and highlighting the poetry of children's poets every day this month. Go see!


Mary Lee said...

Happy Earth Day!

Stephanie said...

Love this! My daughter and I read it aloud this morning before school.

Elaine Magliaro said...


I absolutely love your poem. The triolet was the perfect form to use.

Happy Earth Day!

Schelle said...

Beautiful triolet - the repetition works perfectly for the spring, enhancing the sense of the turning seasons :D My maples are just turning their autumn colours - but it has been raining so constantly this week, I have hardly thought to look at them - there's my challenge for today! :D

Linda said...

Love this poem! Especially "Jade hands that once in fists were curled" beautifully done!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

That is beautiful.

Liz in Ink said...

Oh, hello!!!
I'm wide awake and inspired.
Thank you....

Neverending Story said...

A lovely gentle poem bursting with spring. Thanks to Poetry Sketch I now know what a triolet is.