Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Let the Poetry Begin!

lenten rose

Fingers of sun
find the Lenten Rose this dawn -
nodding with dew.

- Andromeda Jazmon

April is National Poetry Month in the US. The site Read Write Poem is hosting a NaWriPoMo project for anyone who wants to commit to write a poem of some sort every day. Details here.

I plan to celebrate the month by writing and posting a haiku a day. I hope you will join me in enjoying a little extra poetry in your life this month. Check out what Trisha is doing at Miss Rumphius Effect: she's interviewing children's poets every day of the month and featuring some of their work. Today she's got Kenn Nesbitt!

Here is her introductory post with her schedule of poets. She also rounds up other bloggers in the kidlitosphere that are celebrating:

Greg K. at GottaBook is celebrating the first annual 30 Poets/30 Days, where every day in April he'll be posting a previously unpublished poem by a different poet!!

Sylvia Vardell at Poetry For Children will be reviewing a new children's poetry book every day.

Elaine Magliaro will be giving away children's poetry books at Wild Rose Reader and books of light verse at Political Verses in celebration of National Poetry Month.

Anastasia Suen at her new Pencil Talk blog will be collecting school poems written by children throughout April and posting one every day.

Jone, at Check it Out, will be doing a variety of poetry projects with students in her school, including a “Write a Poem-Send a Postcard” event with her students. Contact Jone if you would like to receive an original poem from one of her students.


Ali said...

Great list of resources for Poetry Month! I knew about a couple of them, but not all. Thank you!

susan said...

I am always impressed with how observant you are. Does haiku come easily for you?

Zetta Elliott said...

I don't have any accompanying photos, but I managed to write 4 haiku today. Let's hope I can keep it going! Do you have a garden close by to inspire you?

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Thanks for the kind words! I have been practicing haiku for so many years I think I have a groove in my mind that goes that way. I pull a feeling and some images and mash them together. Photography helps a lot. I find myself taking photos that somehow match the undercurrents of feelings/thoughts in my stream.

I have a small garden in my yard and I walk the neighborhood looking at other people's (much more fabulous) gardens. I never get tired of looking at growing things.

I am looking forward to reading your haiku, Zetta, (and susan? are you writing some?) and everyone else's poetry this month.

Marinela said...

Haiku a day...Great idea!

Anastasia Suen said...

Great photo and haiku! (Thanks for the link!)