Friday, January 16, 2009

Rumi: The Guest House

jan 12 017

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

... read the rest here.

I'm on a Rumi kick this month.

This one is my all time favorites. I'm facing some health challenges now and this poem is really inspiring me to "
meet them at the door laughing".

I had a biopsy come back with a precancerous result last month and I am going to go into the hospital for surgery on Wednesday, Jan. 21. I have been rushing around trying to prepare my family and my job for my downtime so I haven't been blogging or Twittering as much lately. I'll probably continue to be blogging lite for a while but I'll be back to full strength eventually!

I've had so many friends offer help and encouragement I really want to say how much that means to me and how much I appreciate it. My family is close and they will be taking care of us along with so many friends that have offered help. I want to thank all my online friends as well for all the kind words and offers of support. You really make a difference and cheer me to the heart!

Friday Poetry is over at Karen Edmisten's blog. Enjoy!


Janet said...

This poem lays out so beautifully a strength of spirit I long to attain.

Thank you for introducing me to Rumi. There was a Rumi book on the new releases shelf at the library the other day. It was on reserve for someone else, but it's thanks to your recent posts that I noticed it and picked it up.

Praying for you on Wednesday.

Lone Star Ma said...

Holding you in the Light.

jama said...

Beautiful, and just what I needed today. Hugs and prayers to you!

Kelly Fineman said...

Rumi seems like the perfect choice right now, Andi. You can use some of that peace, I think.


jone said...

Beautiful. Holding you in thought and prayer. Do youhave a favorite Rumi book? I need a copy.

Scriptor Senex said...

Kind thoughts going your way. Look after yourself.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I'm slow in getting to this, but I wanted to send my hugs your way again. Plus, I freakin' LOVE that poem; it's very special to me. So thanks for sharing it.

Keeping you in my thoughts...


Jules at 7-Imp said...

Wait, I'm NOT slow in getting to this. January 16th is today. Der. I read that wrong.

Anyway, xxxxooooo to you.

Linda said...

Lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.
I'm adding you to my prayer list. My heart tells me you'll be just fine. I read your blog often, and even though I don't always comment, I enjoy your posts.
Hugs to you and yours.

TadMack said...

The final line, of course, is the hardest one to live with, and yet, remembering that we are a house is one of the most important things in helping us decide what lives inside.

Remember the Scarlet Pimpernel, and how all through his house were those flower symbols, only it took his lady wife ages to recall this? Every time I see a house this week, I will think of you, and whisper, "Courage."

Cloudscome said...

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts and light. I have The Essential Rumi translated by Coleman Barks and published in 1995. I got it after hearing him on PBS years ago. The spine is worn out so I think I need to get some more Rumi books!

I think I'm going to have to print out this poem and many of the other FP posts this week and paste them in my journal so I can read them over and over this week.

Yat-Yee said...

Sending you prayers and wishes.

Thanks for this lovely poem. Count me a Rumi fan.

Saints and Spinners said...

I've not read Rumi besides the "Don't go back to sleep" one. Thanks for posting this. We'll all continue to think of you and send you courage and strength as your surgery day gets closer.

I'm glad you have a working camera again.

Author Amok said...

Good luck next week. I hope all goes well.

Rumi is a balm when your spirits are down. I love the way he calls us to "right here, right now" in moments of distraction.

Mary Lee said...

"Welcome and entertain them all!"

I agree. Even if it's impossibly hard sometimes.

The Book Chook said...

I too will whisper,"Courage."

Becky said...

I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well as you deal with your "unexpected visitor". Thanks for sharing such a lovely poem -- what a wonderful reminder...

laurasalas said...

Holding you in my thoughts, Andi. Try to take care of yourself, and let other people help:>) Hugs!

Beautiful poem--perfect for hard times in life.

Charlotte said...

I am so glad you have family and friends at hand!

Here's a line from A.E. Housman for you, that your "meet them at the door laughing" quote brought to mind:

"Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale!"

Buster said...

I'm Andi's son, Buster. She wanted me to tell you that the surgery went well and she is recovering quickly. Thank you for all the kind words and thoughts.