Thursday, January 01, 2009

new year's resolutions: 2009

dec.30 003

I can not for the life of me remember where I posted my new year's resolutions last January. I know I had some. I think I put them in the comments to some one's blog. Was it yours?

The only one I remember is to get in the habit of using cloth shopping bags instead of plastic grocery bags. I've got a collection of big, strong bags in the trunk of my car and we use them 90% of the time. Good habit!

This year I am looking at some pretty serious health issues in January, so my resolutions are back to basics. I had a biopsy that came back with a bad report and I am going to have to have surgery this month. It will mean a very difficult winter for me and my family. In the best case I'll be back full strength by spring. In the worst case.... I'm counting my blessings.

I'm taking my resolutions from my source of deepest strength:

  1. Be anxious for nothing. Philippians 4:5-8
  2. Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice. Philippians 4:4 (Bible search results in 124 citations, listed over five pages. Rejoice must be a strong theme, no?)
  3. Trust in the Lord Psalm 91:2-4
The way I am going to renew these resolutions day by day is to spend more time in prayer and Bible study. I am joining Becky's read the Bible challenge and I am adding evening prayer time to my routine of morning Quiet Time. I am following the American Bible Society's Daily Bible reading schedule, which I have on a calendar they sent me. I have a stack of devotional books received as Christmas books that I am going to be reading while recuperating. I think it could be a fruitful time of retreat and healing.

How about you? What are you resolved to do this year?


FireMom said...

Sending hugs and strength.

Happy New Year.

Janet said...

God bless you, Cloudscome...

Unique Jewelry said...

Trust, Rejoice, and Relax. All wonderful resolutions!


Mary Lee said...

Eleven years ago I "bingoed" on my very first mammogram. I wish I could tell you with certainty what combination of luck, medicine, prayer, meditation, grit, anger, diet, and exercise has kept me on this planet while taking others away early. There's no certainty except for the certainty we have right now in this moment. I am certain that you are meant to be here for your boys, for your kids at school, to show us all the world through your camera lens and your poetry. I am communicating my certainty to the universe on a regular basis. Stay strong.

Cloudscome said...

You are making me cry. Thank you so much for all this encouragement! Mary Lee I am inspired by you.

jama said...

Love and prayers to you, Andi. Sending healing thoughts your way for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.