Sunday, January 04, 2009

January 4 Haiku

jan 3 sunrise

awake in the quiet
empty streets before dawn -
breakfast without you

We rose at 4 the other day to take my oldest son to the train to the airport. He's going on a skiing vacation. My younger sons and I were back in the house and all wide awake before the sun rose. My little guys were amazed at how quiet and empty the streets are so early in the morning when the street lights are still flashing red.

We never eat breakfast with him but for some reason this morning we missed him more. How is the house emptier when he is thousands of miles away than when he is just at work or out with friends?

3 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

Hugs.

Vivian said...

Beautiful photo and wistful poem.

Before you know it, your son will be back home and the house will feel complete.

Hugs.

Becky said...

I know this comment is off topic. So forgive me for that. :)

I wanted to invite you to participate in my 'Question of the Week' feature (every Tuesday). You don't have to--no obligation implied--but it's there if you want to take part. (It's an optional part of the Operation Actually Read Bible challenge).

Becky