Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Invitation from Michelle Obama in my inbox!!

Email from Michelle Obama:

Dear Cloudscome,

One week from today, on January 19th, Barack and I will join thousands of people all across the country for an extraordinary day of service.I recorded a short video to tell you more about this important effort. Please take a minute to watch it and sign up to host or attend a service event near you.

Volunteers of all ages and backgrounds are committing to renew America together, one community at a time.Whatever service activity you organize or take part in -- cleaning up a park, giving blood, volunteering at a homeless shelter, or mentoring an at-risk youth -- you can help start this important journey. But this is about more than just a single day of service, it's the beginning of an ongoing commitment to your community.

Monday, January 19th, is also Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Dr. King taught us to live a life of service, and he led by example. He once said:
"If you want to be important -- wonderful. If you want to be recognized --
wonderful. If you want to be great -- wonderful. But, recognize that he who is
greatest among you shall be your servant. That's a new definition of greatness."

Barack and I will be volunteering in Washington, D.C., our new home. I hope you'll join us by taking part in this national call to service in your community:http://www.USAservice.org/calltoservice

It will take ordinary citizens working together with a common purpose to get this country back on track. This national day of service is an important first step in our continuing commitment.

Now is the time to remind all Americans what ordinary people can accomplish when we stand together.

Thank you,

Michelle

Dear Michelle,

I'm there. Thanks for the invite!

6 comments:

mayhem said...

Whoa, you and Michelle are buddies! :)

Lone Star Ma said...

WOW. I really like the day of service idea. I generally sepnd the day kind of busy with the Girl Scouts and the local march. I'd feel bad opting out of that as I am expected by our girls but also by some students, but a day of service sounds very cool.

Cloudscome said...

LSM I think spending time with the girlscouts counts! You can do anything you want that benefits or contributes to your community or any community. I am just taking a bag of food to a neighborhood food drive because this year MLK dad lands two days before I go into the hospital. I have to get my household ready for the very difficult weeks ahead so I am hunkering down.

If you go to the sign up link and put in your zip code you get a list of things you could participate in or contribute to. Many of them don't require very much time or talents. Every little bit pitched in makes a difference though!

I absolutely LOVE that we have a president who is asking up to take part and put our efforts into our working together to meet the challenges.

Annie said...

I received an invite as well. I am thrilled that the Obama camp is going to use the amazing network they established for more than fundraising.

It is refreshing to have new leadership.

Lone Star Ma said...

I'm sure we can fit something like that in after the march! Or maybe we'll go pic up trash at a park.

Are you okay?

Cloudscome said...

I have to have some surgery after a bad biopsy report. It is going to be a difficult time but I think we will come out of it OK. I have family and friends helping me with the boys and I have good doctors. I am trusting God to take care of us all. Thanks for asking! I might not be blogging all that much for the next week or so.