Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

jan 20 019

44 Words on Inauguration Day 2009

Mookie got back
from the police station
& told us the woman said
“I just know they were black
and there was a lot of them.”
The patrol car picked up
the first black men they saw.
Mookie didn't live to see this day.

...............-Andromeda Jazmon

Mookie is a friend of mine who died ten years ago. I used to live across the street from him. He was kind, smart, wise, responsible and funny. I hope one of his jobs in heaven is to look after me and my boys. I hope he & a host of angels are looking after the Obamas. I am full of joy and thanksgiving for this day but I am also sober in reflecting on the price we have paid to get here.

Over at the Peapods blog there is going to be a round up of inauguration posts. Write 44 words about what this day means to you & post a photo. If you want to join go let her know in the comments.

12 comments:

alice said...

That is so lovely, I am heading out now to see what picture I can get.

justenjoyhim said...

*sniff*

Oh sheesh. Your 44 words are lovely. Sad but lovely. Thank you for sharing them.

TadMack said...

Ach, Andi. What a thing. What a thing. To be picked up... just because.

Do we suppose that will stop? That, after today, automatically the slate will be clean?

No.

But.
Hope for change... begins with a single step. This is a big one.

Happy Inauguration Day.

Melissa said...

Such a beautiful image, such a sad story. Thank you for sharing it, and I'll be thinking of you over the next few days.

Yat-Yee said...

Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

So well-put.

Happy inauguration day!

Cloudscome said...

Thanks friends. This is a happy day in so many ways. I watched the inauguration with my son Buddy's kindergarten class. He told his classmates:

"Barack Obama is the first Black man to be president!"

"He looks a little like me!"

"I am going to be the next Black president after Obama!"

Buddy's teachers and I smiled through our tears.

Toni said...

I love your 44 words, but they are such a sad commentary. Hopefully our country will truly start to see change - I am hopeful.

Vivian said...

Thanks for sharing this poignant poem. I'm hopeful for a change and that people will choose hope, and not fear.

Here's to a great day!

I've nominated you for a blog award!

Lone Star Ma said...

What a sad and beautiful 44 words. I think we will have change now. I really think so.

jone said...

A wonderful tribute. I did not get my poem finished on Inauguration Day. I wished I had.

laurasalas said...

Beautiful, Andi. Heart-breaking, but beautiful.