Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Poetry: e. e. cummings

lil pinks 2

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes the rest here.

Good friends of mine brought dinner for the family last night. Tucked in with the fragrent, delicious food was this poem. Life is good!

Read more poetry on this lovely Friday in the roundup over at Suzanne's Adventures in Daily Living.


Tricia said...

Happy to see you here. I hope you are feeling loads better.

Sara said...

Dinner with a poem?? You have exquisite taste in friends. I love e.e., so thanks for this jolt today.

david elzey said...

Ah, yes, the eyes of my eyes and the ears of my ears. It's been so long that I have forgotten where I first came across these words. Thank you.

Sally said...

Hi, what a great poem and a great site for sacred poetry. Hope you get well soon!

jama said...

Have been thinking of you all week. A bit of Cummings and a delicious dinner are just what the doctor ordered. Take care, and feel better soon. :)

Author Amok said...

Thanks for this beautiful poem. I needed a breath of spring after a week of chipping ice off the driveway & kids hoem from school.

jenniferknoblock said...

Wonderful poem! And here's one more hymn it made me think of (written by Julia Elliot):

Father, who the light this day
Out of darkness didst create,
Shine upon us now, we pray,
While within thy courts we wait.
Wean us from the works of night,
Make us children of the light.

Yay! The sun is shining here today.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

That has always been a favorite of mine. How beautiful that someone snuck that into your meal.

I have been thinking of you, too, and CANNOT get the personal blog thing to work for me. Ergh. But I will keep visting here and hold you in my thoughts!


Becky said...

What a wonderful gift, along with the meal!

And a wonderful reminder that somewhere under the ice and snow and gray skies, the promise of trees' greenly spirits and blue true dreams remains...

I hope you're feeling much better soon...

Lisa Chellman said...

Those are good friends indeed, to bring you delicious food *and* a beautiful poem! I hadn't read this one before, and I'm glad to be introduced. Thank you!

Karen E. said...

I love this one. Thanks.

Janet said...

This is one of my favorite poems!

I too am glad to see you "here." Hope the rest and recovery continues as nourishingly as your friends made it last night.

Yat-Yee said...

Hope you'll continue to get well, and receive poems that will lift your spirits.

Fiddler said...

Cloudscome, sending you warm thoughts. Thanks for posting this poem--I loved the lines, "i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday"

After long, gray winter days here in New England, it does seem like a reawakening when we have sunshine on full blast.

Kelly Fineman said...

God. What a gorgeous Shakespearian sonnet (a la cummings, of course). Thank you for sharing it, Andi. And hang in there.

Mary Lee said...

I, too, am thankful for everything "which is yes"

Including, but not limited to

yes, Cloud's back!
yes, we can! (yes, we did! yes, we are!)
YES, the weekend!

Julie said...

This is my favorite poem of all time. I based my whole blog on it. (:

Elaine Magliaro said...


Friends and food and poetry--things don't get better than that. Didn't know you weren't well. Hope you feel better soon.

laurasalas said...

A "blue true dream of sky..."

With poetry that delicious, who needs dinner?

Thanks for sharing, Andi!