Thursday, January 01, 2009

Diversity Rocks Challenge

Ali, over at the blog Diversity Rocks! is organizing a challenge to help us diversify our reading this year. I am committed to reading at least 12 books by authors of diverse culture/ethnicity/nationalities, preferably authors new to me. She's letting us define "diversity" however that is meaningful to us. I am looking forward to digging in to these books on my GoodReads "to read" list:

Children of the Night: The Best Short Stories by Black Writers, 1967 to the Present (Paperback) Naylor, Gloria

Black American Short Stories (American Century Series) Clarke, John Henrik

Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution (trade paperback) Jiang, Ji-li

Kaffir Boy: An Autobiography--The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa (Paperback) Mathabane, Mark

When the Emperor Was Divine (Paperback) Otsuka, Julie

Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree (Paperback) Ali, Tariq

The Twentieth Wife: A Novel (Paperback) Sundaresan, Indu

Song Yet Sung (Hardcover) McBride, James

The Known World (Paperback) Jones, Edward P.

Thank You, Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. ! (Library Binding) Tate, Eleanora E.

The Broken Bike Boy and the Queen of 33rd Street (Hardcover) Flake, Sharon G.


Ali is compiling lists of recommended books, including historical fiction, memoirs, short stories, YA, children's, and many other genres. Check out her blog and see if you can join this challenge. Even if you only add a few diverse titles to what you usually read it will be a rich and satisfying experience!

Terry over at Scrub a Dub Tub is doing a Mr. Linky round up of reading/literacy/blogging plans for the new year. Go check it out and add to it if you can!

5 comments:

Ali said...

Happy New Year, Cloudscome! Looks like a great list you've got there. Song Yet Sung is sitting on my library shelf, I've heard it's amazing!

Katie said...

This is a very interesting concept... I'm seriously considering!

Terry said...

What a fabulous idea! I spent 2008 using YA as my link to "adult fare," so I definitely need to expand in that arena.

Thanks, too, for stopping by the Tub. I look forward to following your progress on the diversity challenge. You have a great "eye" for the easy readers. Will we see more of those reviews this year?

Cloudscome said...

I wish I could find more easy readers by authors of color and/or involving more diverse characters. That's one thing I was disappointed about in the Cybils list. Anyone know of any newer titles?

Kyra said...

Thanks for the list - I'll check it out. I just posted about mock Coretta Scott King awards - haven't been able to find anyone else who's talking about it.

Best, Kyra