Friday, December 12, 2008

Guest Poet J. Patrick Lewis

Imagine my surprise and delight when I checked my email yesterday and found a message from J. Patrick Lewis!! THE J. Patrick Lewis, who did Birds on a Wire: Renga Round the Town (with Paul B. Janeczko) and The Brothers War, and Freedom Like Sunlight: Praisesongs for Black Americans, and tons more great poetry books. I mean!

He graciously offered to let me post the following poem here on my blog. It is a celebration of one of December's most beloved holidays: Chocolate-Covered Anything Day (December 16). It's really fitting for us because my two little guys are always trying to tell me they like eating ants. I've never even mentioned dipping them in chocolate so boy are they going to love this!

Sept. 8 046

Chocolate-Covered Ants

You start with that ant mandible—
Completely understandable—
.....A chocolate jaw has never tasted sweeter.

Then bite of bit of abdomen
Before you’ve finally grabbed a min-
.....i-leg, an itty-bitty centimeter.

But ants despise the holiday
That is their grand finale day
.....When you become The Chocolate Anteater.
................................-J. Patrick Lewis

The Friday Poetry round up is over at Wild Rose Reader. Hope you enjoy your day today and get ready for next Tuesday with some chocolate-covered treats!

12 comments:

Janet said...

How clever -- I love it! My 5-year-old will too. She's the queen of dipping and mixing.

Some of us don't need an Official Day for eating chocolate...

jama said...

In college I received a whole box of chocolate covered insects for my birthday, ants included. I must say, they went down the easiest (grasshopper legs stuck in my teeth, and caterpillar bodies are squishy).

This fun poem is delicious any day of the year. Thanks for my first chocolate covered poem!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Such a fun poem! And how adorable your two guys are!

I'm off to indulge in your photography now.

Schelle said...

What fun! :D Not sure how tasty it would be, though.

TadMack said...

The guys say they like eating ants!? My sister ate pomegranate for the longest time as "beetles." You can't really dip those in chocolate so much, though.

I'll have to come up with something else.

How cool that you got an original poem! Anteater Day, eh?

Kelly said...

Ha! Love it! I bet my kids WOULD eat chocolate covered ants! I caught two of them trying the dog treats the other day...

Brianna Caplan Sayres said...

What a wonderful poem! And I thought I was going to feel deprived of chocolate since I'm on such an ultra healthy diet with gestational diabetes right now... but somehow this poem didn't leave me inspired to eat! :o)

Thanks so much for sharing!

Vivian said...

Does it matter that I've started Chocolate-Covered Anything Day early? I made all this fudge yesterday and covered them with extra chocolate...

Very cool poem.

Carol said...

I don't know which I like better- the fun chocolate poem (which makes me consider an immediate run to 7-11 for a Hershey's bar!) or the picture of those two gorgeous boys. Mine are 13 and almost 15, and I miss those sweet "little guy" days!

Lone Star Ma said...

Cool.

Mary Lee said...

Today is my celebration of Chocolate Covered Anything Day -- peanut clusters are on the counter and chocolate covered toffee is cooling on a card table in the garage!

laurasalas said...

I think Pat is just amazing. I have many poets I love, of course, but for most of them, they have a specific tone or mood or voice or whatever. But the fact that the same person who writes clever, funny, in-love-with-wordplay poems like this one and the ones in his World's Greatest and Once Upon a Tomb also writes touching, deeply-felt collections like Brothers' War, as well as the magical haikus in Black Swan, White Crow...well, that just boggles my mind.