Friday, October 24, 2008

Original Poem: Geese Fly

jan 18 034

Geese fly in V’s across the autumn blue -
My young son wants to know the reason why.
“How do they know?” he asks,” Who’s in the front?”
When I explain he pauses deep in thought.
His mind leaps forward, then he says, “So geese
can sometimes fight and sometimes help a friend?”
“Yes”, I said, “like that”. And then we drove
and noticed geese in fields, not one alone.
..........................-Andromeda Jazmon

jan 18 032

I took the photos last January and wrote the poem this morning in response to Miss Rumphius' Monday Poetry Challenge this week. My son and I had this conversation in the car this morning and I was struck by his insight into the emotional/social life of geese based on my explaination of their flight behavior. The mind in kindergarten!

Friday Poetry round up is at Big A, little a today. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Oh my, I love that poem!

TadMack said...

Aargh! The last line is a beautiful blow, made me tear up.

Fiddler said...

What wonderful photos and words to accompany them! Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

Wise. And yes, like TadMack, the last line hurts a bit, in a good way.

janet said...

So good to see one of your original poems here. And this one's a doozy.

Love the pictures too, which give me a physical chill to go with the one your poem gives.

The Burns' said...

That's so good and I miss those 5 year lod conversations!

Yat-Yee said...

From the mouths of babes...I don't know how old your son is but there is wisdom in his soul. Thanks for sharing the poem and the pictures. The stark blue does something to me.

Mary Lee said...

What we hear when we listen!

Cloudscome said...

Thanks friends! I left huge chunks out of the conversation in order to shape the poem and I wasn't sure enough was there to hold it together. Glad to see something carried. Buddy is six and he often comes out with amazing things while I'm driving.