Sunday, September 28, 2008

Time to Reflect

tire swing

Jeff Utecht has a great post up at U Tech Tips about reflection during work hours. As teachers and librarians we seldom find time during work hours to actually sit and think about what we are doing and what we want to be doing. Intentional reflection is a huge part of learning and we expect our students to do it; but do we give ourselves permission and scheduled time to do it at work? For me reflection means time to sit and stare out the window thinking, and then time to read and write. I find myself trying to squeeze in reflection time at home in the wee hours or late at night when my children are asleep. If they aren't sleeping on schedule, or if I have grad school work, a social engagement or presidential debates to watch, I'm not writing.

I am really fortunate to be in a school where administrators value reflection and have actually told me on more than one occasion that they expect me to spend time reading journals, attending professional development sessions, planning and reflecting on our programs. I am expected to state professional development and educational goals every year and I am held accountable to meeting them. Even so, it's hard to find the time to do it on a daily basis. This year the library is so busy with multiple classes scheduled in an out all day that I rarely have time to sit and think or read about what other librarians are thinking. My blog reading for the kidlit blogs has dropped off the chart. I keep hoping that as soon as we get out of September I'll get a handle on the school year and we'll be back on track. I have a feeling that's not going to happen unless I make it.

How do you find time for reflection during your work day? Or how could you?

2 comments:

Sara said...

Well, yoga class has built-in reflection time, which is great. But I'm thinking your photos would be perfect for regular teacher/school reflection time. This one of the tire swing certainly does it for me.

alotalot said...

I used to reflect the whole way home when I was in a carpool with another teacher. :) Now I do it by myself on the way home and it is effective, but not the same.