Friday, August 01, 2008

Gathering courage and taking names

July 31 037

One of my summer goals was to do a lot of writing and to submit it on a regular basis. Well I've been doing the writing but have taken the lazy route and not looked for places to submit. That is always the hardest part of writing for me. I tend to go through cycles of writing a lot, researching contests, publishers and journals, submitting in a flurry for a couple months, and then sitting back to wait for results. Most of the time that means collecting rejections and getting discouraged enough to go back into hiding. I was cleaning out some book shelves last week and found a 1999 copy of the Writer's & Illustrator's Guide to Children's Book Publishing and Agents. That's how long it's been since I did any serious research.

A couple weeks ago Sara challenged me to be submitting my work for print publication. I realize that if I have posted a poem here for Friday Poetry I probably can't circulate it for print publication. A long time ago I did have some things in print... before I discovered how much fun it is to publish it myself on a blog. But I really want to be in print. On paper. Edited and published by professionals.

So I've had to make a tough decision. I am going to keep up writing at least one finished poem a week but I am not going to post them anymore for Friday Poetry. I'm going to work on them till they are polished and I am going to find places to submit. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to tell you where you can find them if you want to read them.

I going to get down on my knees and beg you to tell me where you think I could submit. Help me out and tell me where you think you would run across poems like mine. What's your favorite poetry journal that is open to unsolicited submissions?

And that's my Friday Poetry post and my One Brave Thing all rolled into one. Big breath.

Read the poetry others have shared this weekend at The Well Read Child. And now I'm off to the beach with the kiddos. Enjoy your weekend!

15 comments:

TadMack said...

Oh, wow. Go, bravery, go, Andromeda! I'm not a good resource for poetry, but will be thinking about it - plus the August Poets & Writers just came out ...

Cloudscome said...

Tadmack you've already made my day and I haven't even finished my coffee. Going straight to P&W now.

jama said...

So glad to hear you are pursuing print publication! Just wish I could be of more help. I will definitely think about it and let you know if I come up with any possible markets.

Susan T. said...

Try Global City Review, a wonderful journal that comes out once or twice a year. It's in NYC, based at City College.

Lone Star Ma said...

I haven't been as good as I wanted to be about submitting my writing, either.

I like 32 Poems.

Julie said...

I am excited for you, but sad for us. Your poems are so beautiful. Just promise that WHEN, not if, they are published, you'll tell us where to buy them.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I will also think, but I have no tips right now.

Good going on something very, very brave, though. Whew. Awesome.

Happy beach to you all!

janet said...

That's terrific. I'm glad you're taking the plunge, though I'll certainly miss reading your poems here. :( I'm glad we still have your past poems to look at.

Have you ever looked through 'Poet's Market'? It can be a helpful resource. Beyond that I'm no help at all, I'm afraid...

Mary Lee said...

Good for you! I'll miss your originals on Poetry Friday, but will look forward to having a whole volume on my bedside table!

Cloudscome said...

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am cheered to know you are all so confident of me. I am adding all these suggestions to my del.icio.us links for further study. They look great!

Lisa Chellman said...

This is a big step, and good luck to you! My only relevant experience to offer up is with the university-published literary journal market: Southern Review, Prairie Schooner, etc. (Fresh out of college I was trying to break into it, before realizing that I was way better at writing novels for young people than poems and short stories for adults-- and that I needed a few more years' practice and experience, too!)

There are scads of these journals that publish poetry, more so than fiction-- some more traditional, some more avant garde. My research approach was to go to a massive university or big-city library and read a whole bunch of them to catch their tone. A good news stand will have many of the more famous ones, but I think many of the smaller ones get left out.

Good luck to you, and hang in there with the submission process!

Vivian said...

This is so exciting! You've got the talent...here's to excellent writing juju and courage! Many good thoughts go your way!

Linda said...

I can relate so well about writing but not submitting. I've been doing the same, but I'm not sure why. I guess lack of confidence is one piece of the puzzle. I submit, get rejections, give up submitting for a while, then get the courage to try again. I keep hearing successful writers say that persistence is the key. I know I'll be reading some good news from your very soon. All best to you.

Sara said...

Oh, I applaud your bravery! Yippee!

And now, forgive me if I must push you one tiny bit further. What would you think of gathering the best of your photos and poems together and submitting as a book collection? One of the things I love the most is how your photographs and words play off each other.

Cloudscome said...

Oh My Lord Sara! You have to go one step further? I wouldn't have the first idea where to send such a collection.



OK. I'll start thinking about it.