- Severe Spending Halt-a-thon
- Organization Marathon
- No Eating Out-a-thon
- Serious Craft-a-thon
- Weight Control-a-thon
- Create-a-Budget Event
- Feed a Family of _____with $_____ for 17 Days Race
- Add-to-Savings Sprint
- No-Plastic-Cash-Only Race
- Healthy-Living Freestyle
Eligibility requirements are as follows: You must be a fan of Debt-Proof Living, Everyday Cheapskate, MRDS (this blog)—embracing the credo (which of course you know by heart … “Bringing dignity to the art of living below your means”) and be willing to challenge yourself in the Olympic spirit. It won’t hurt if you are also somewhat obsessive and willing to play along.
1. DPL Olympians are required to begin a personal financial project during the Opening Ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in Beijing, and finish before the flame is extinguished.
2. Participants come up with their own events, which must require some level of sacrifice and difficulty while still being possible to attain. Suggestions: No spending for 17 days (the mother of all challenges, for sure); depositing $10 a day into a real savings account, holding a garage sale, or eating only the food you have on hand. You get the idea. (For ideas, go HERE for a current list of participants and the events they’ve selected.)
3. The DPL Gold Medal Certificate will be awarded to all who report to the group that they finished their event and reached their goal. The honor system will prevail.
I am signing up for the Serious Craft-a-thon, where I will sort my quilting stash and make two lap-size quilts for Christmas presents, and the Add-to-Savings Sprint, where I will open a new savings account for the younger boys' college fund and set up a regular monthly deposit. I am looking forward to spending my evenings and afternoon nap time quilting while watching the Olympics on TV. I am also excited about taking my boys to the bank to open a new account for them. Buddy has a summer reading challenge from a bank that promises him $10 in a savings account if he can write down ten books he's read this summer. He reads a book to me every night so that is gold! I am going to add a nice sum to get the account kicking and then make a monthly automatic deposit from my checking account. It's something I wish I had done for my oldest son Buster.
What can you initiate to reduce your debt, increase your savings and bring your budget into line with your life goals? "it is never too late, unless you don’t start now." Go sign up and join the fun!