Sunday, July 06, 2008

Sunday Garden Tour: Day Lilies


June and July are day lily season in this part of the world. Everywhere you go you see banks of orange lilies leaning out into the sun. Yellow Stella de Oro lilies are landscaped along every parking lot. Some gardeners collect lilies in every shape and shade. I inherited several types of yellow, orange and red lilies when we moved in here, and I've just divided and transplanted them around the yard to fill in spots. They keep coming and coming.

day lily

June 19 016

July 6 007

July 6 009

July 6 005

July 4 011

What's in season in your garden? Leave a comment and we'll all come visit.

5 comments:

Gawdess said...

lovely to see all those varieties, I like day lilies so much - these are inspiring - I am not familiar with the one in the last picture, but WOW

M.F. Atkins said...

Gorgeous pictures! We just planted some more things in our butterfly garden yesterday. I'll take some pictures. I posted a few pictures today--one of tomatoes, and one of our Swiss Chard.

Marcie
marcieaf.blogspot.com

Mary Lee said...

Isn't that the truth about day lilies -- "They keep coming and coming."

I'm joining this week with roses on my mind:

http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2008/07/sunday-garden-tour.html

Jules at 7-Imp said...

O. MY. GOD. So beautiful.

writer2b said...

My mother-in-law gave me some lilies for my birthday a few years ago, but they didn't take in the clayey soil. Maybe after we've mulched for a few years we'll try again.

Amazing photos. I always marvel at how my camera doesn't truly capture what I see. Your photos have the opposite effect -- they show me how much my eyes miss!