Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Six Word Meme

I've been tagged by Charlotte to play the six word memoir meme:

1. Write a six-word memoir.
2. Post it to your blog including a visual illustration if you would like.
3. Link to the person who tagged you in your post and to this original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere.
4. Tag 5 more blogs with links.
5. Don’t forget to leave a comment in the tagged blogs with an invitation to play.

I love a good meme and this one's been going around. Check out the comments from the OP linked above if you want to spend the day reading great memoirs.

I am going to follow Charlotte's lead and post more than one version. Maybe it's cheating, since that gives you eighteen words instead of six, but the truth is there is always more than one version of a life.

The first time I wrote one I settled on:

"Single mom again found wandering the library."

"Again" is the hinge. I played around with the punctuation to find alternate meanings. What makes a good six word memoir is lots of ambiguity and layers of meaning, right? You have to hint at character, setting and plot development, leaving the reader to fill in the details and wish for more. Is she single again, a mother again, or wandering again?

Then I wrote:

""...a poet let loose in the library..."

That's my blog header for now. Who let her loose? What's she doing, climbing the stacks, cackling at patrons, scribbling in the books, or huddled morosely in a dark study carrel?

This morning when I woke up I came up with a new one, which I think is the best so far:

"She stumbles on, rejoicing in grace."

Charlotte challenged me to include an illustration, so I took a self portrait at 6 am, puffy eyes and all.

clouds in the am

I am tagging five people whose lives I love to read. If you've already done it give yourself a new version. If you haven't been tagged yet go ahead and do it anyway. It's kind of like haiku. Once you get started it keeps rolling.

Tag, you're it:

Suzanne, jo(e), Christine, Jocelyn, Don


Charlotte said...

Thanks Cloudscome! I like the last one best too, and it is a beautiful picture, as always!

Mary Lee said...

Never mind the (you think they are, not me) puffy eyes, I'm amazed that you set up and shot a great self portrait before 7:00 am!

(Whatcha readin'???)

Cheryl said...

Oh, I love "Single mom again found wandering the library." It brings up such a lovely image to me--and layers. Beautiful.

And I love the self-portrait you took. It's also beautiful. I love the way the light plays, too.

(How did you take a self portrait? Do you have a camera stand?)

Cloudscome said...

Well, I'll tell you. I sit in that chair every morning reading my Bible in the quiet before my boys wake up. It's one of my favorite times of the day. I am always up early to maximize it.

Today I could see myself in the reflection in the TV so I thought I would try to capture it with the camera. I borrowed my son's little table top tripod. I set up the camera and put on the self timer. On auto the camera sets the exposure itself. I'm not crazy about the way I look but I like the way the light falls.

:: Suzanne :: said...

Thanks for the assignment. I'll mull over it as I watch the kids swim.

Annie said...

I love the image of a poet on the loose cackling at library patrons.

Don Tate II said...

Thanks! this is a good one, I'll have to give it some thought.

Christina said...

Alright I'll play. I'll post it tomorrow.