Friday, July 04, 2008

Sestina: Day's End

June 6 021


Day's end, the sky
a worried knot.
Clouds suggest a fork.
Sun on the wall
warms a rose;
light's trumpet.

Evening trumpet.
An open sky
tinged with rose
loosens the knot,
breaks the wall,
bends that fork.

The worry fork -
one side trumpet,
one side wall.
Above us floats the sky.
This garden knot
is brambled rose.

Heirloom roses,
overgrown forks,
twisted knots,
clustered trumpets,
fractured sky,
failing wall.

Sheltering wall?
Blooming rose?
Cracked sky?
Twisted fork?
Silent trumpet?
Stubborn knot.

Some comfort this knot
pushed up against that wall,
forever opening trumpets,
flinging roses,
feeding me with a fork
these dripping chunks of sky.

It's a knot that's grown into a rose.
It clings to the wall that holds it's fork;
the trumpet that opens the sky.

.................................-Andromeda Jazmon

I wrote this sestina for the Monday Poetry Stretch at Miss Rumphius.

"The challenge this week was to write a poem containing the five words sky, knot, fork, wall, and rose, as well as either trumpet or bullet as the sixth word."

Check out the other poems written. The Friday Poetry round up is at In Search of Giants this weekend. Enjoy your Fourth of July!



6 comments:

Shelley said...

Wow. Amazing. Way to work that net!

laurasalas said...

Andi--fabulous! This is my absolute favorite:

Some comfort this knot
pushed up against that wall,
forever opening trumpets,
flinging roses,
feeding me with a fork
these dripping chunks of sky.

Dripping chunks of sky. Oh my god. Amazing.

TadMack said...

Again, I see that I have some WORK to do. You guys are really working and stretching and DOING this sestina thing. I love that you have a photo that goes with it --

Evening trumpet
An open sky
Tinged with rose
loosens the knot,
breaks the wall,
bends that fork
...

Love it.

Karen E. said...

It's really lovely. The only form I ever try is haiku ... I can count, but beyond that I'm not disciplined enough with poetry ...:-) it's lovely to see your stretches. Thanks.

alotalot said...

I like this form. It is kind of whimsical and fun.

Aerin said...

I agree with Laura about my favorite stanza, although I loved the flinging roses best. Beautiful!