Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Marilee Marvelous

The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous by Suzanne Crowley. Greenwillow Books, 2007. Library copy. I really enjoyed this book. Merilee is a 13 year old girl with Asperger's, living in a small Texas town. She has a Very Ordered Existence (her deeply loved daily routines) until three strangers come to town and upset things. She is intelligent, observant, thoughtful and kind, with a delightful dry wit. The language quirks of Asperger's come out in her impulsive interjections of words like "Marvelous. Stupendous. Ridiculous." every time she talks. It makes for some very funny conversations. There is also some very sad real life issues with family relationships and fear of getting close to people you love, or could love. This is a book I could read again and again. I'm not sure how kids would take it if they had no experience with Autism. A discussion of that is here at Reader's Carousel. Anyone read this book with kids? What reaction did you get?

Author interview at Cynsations

2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Sounds a little like Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree. My students never picked up on that one, but several loved Rules. They know kids with autism and said it helped them to understand them better. Me, too. If only I'd read this book before I had (student) in my class...

Lone Star Ma said...

I liked the book. I haven't read it with kids, but I think I would have read it as a kid myself. Of course, I'd read anything...will work for text....