Sunday, June 08, 2008

Garden Surprise


You might think I have a huge yard and burgeoning garden from my frequent posts on gardening, but I don't. I actually have a small yard with mostly shade gardens full of perennials and ground cover. I think I might run out of topics until I go out into the yard and wander around looking to see what's going on that is worth talking about. I am often surprised by what I find.

I was looking for a section of garden that I wouldn't mind the boys digging up, since they found my trowels and were intent on digging in the dirt. Low and behold, we found a potato growing by the fence! I think a squirrel must have drug it out of the compost bin and let it roll down the hill. It landed in the dirt and started growing. I can't wait to see what happens next.

potato leaves

What surprised you in your garden this week? Leave a comment so we can all come read about it. You don't have to have pictures to join the garden tour, by the way, just post about what's growing in your neck of the woods.


laurasalas said...

Andi, I didn't post this on my blog, but last week, my "daily one-minute poem" subject was things in my yard, and I wrote this ode to yard detritus on Monday:

I Used to Think I Had a Black Thumb…

but a soccer ball
blooms in my garden
glossy red petals
shouting from behind green leaves

and a gold hula hoop
twines up the fence

while soapy bubble bottles
cascade shimmering buds
in the rain

Love your potato. We had a corn plant growing once, by accident!

alotalot said...

My grandma used to call plants like that "volunteers". ;)

Chelle said...

I've posted some pictures taken of my garden today.

Cloudscome said...

Laura that is great! I have some of those soccer ball "plants" and bubble bottle buds too. LOL I wouldn't want a garden without them.

alotalot - I almost called this post "Volunteer Potatoes". I always like to see what grows in my casually tended compost bin. ;)

mayhem said...

We have three pots on our front step, one with strawberries (not producing much) one with a tomato plant and one full of flowers. The boys like checking for fruit and watering them. (They really water plants with enthusiasm!)

Becky said...

I'm finally ready for the Stroll after several weeks. My garden surprise was to find a butterfly as my companion all afternoon. It didn't seem to be bothered at all by the large human nearby, and I was glad for the company!

I love the idea of a shade garden but we're in the midst of prairie without much for trees, and I have just a bit of growing space on the north side of the house. So I'll live vicariously through your pictures!