Sunday, June 29, 2008

Basil

basil

Basil is one of the herbs I always have in a pot by the kitchen door. I start a new pot every spring and enjoy snipping leaves all summer and into the fall. It doesn't winter over very well indoors, so I have to start another one the next year. I put it in soups and salads, on pizza and pasta, and it makes a refreshing, relaxing tea. According to Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs, "Basil has been described as having a slight sedative action, which would explain shy it is sometimes recommended for nervous headaches and anxiety." I have to say, we all had some after dinner tonight and bed time went quite a bit smoother than it usually does!

basil

One thing I haven't tried is making pesto. Surprising, right? That's probably the first thing most people do. I read a great post at A Caribbean Garden yesterday all about making pesto. Nicole has a couple of wonderful recipes up which I am going to try this week. She has nice photos too - take a look!

Here are more basil links:

Gardens Ablaze

Indian basil tea recipe

Holy Basil (Tulsi) Tea

Ohio State Fact sheet on basil

How to make herb teas

What's happening in your garden this week? Leave us a link to your garden post this week in Mr. Linky, and leave a comment and we'll come visit.



7 comments:

writer2b said...

Your boys will drink tea? Very cool... I may try basil tea with my girls. Anything to make bedtime go smoothly is worth a try! (I'll probably have to sugar it down so heavily, hyperactivity will overrule the soothing effects of the basil...)

I think if I garden again next year, I'll try some spices, too.

TadMack said...

Basil tea? Huh. That's one thing I've never tried, but I'll certainly scatter herbs in salad greens like they're going out of style.

I managed to overwinter a basil plant this past year because it was British basil... and anywhere indoors was better than being outdoors for the little guy; it had been raised in a hothouse, and since my small flat was steamy with stews and soups and baking, it enjoyed even the coldest days. I've never managed to do that in the States, though.

Happy gardening. Your post makes me wistful for my pre-city days...

sheila said...

I like basil in sandwiches, with cheese. Add a little tarragon...mmmmm.

I'm in with my own version of Where Have All The Flowers gone. Well, not really, just a weird anecdote about some who hasn't got any flowers in her life.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I'm going to wait until it's a little bit cooler outside before I post photos. Maybe a Monday morning stroll will suit? The good news is that I have planted a new lemon verbena plant (take 3) in a pot, rather in the ground-- I've forgotten whose blog post it was I read that made me decide to try again. The bad news is that my heliotrope is crisped by the weather. Wah!

I love basil. Love, love, love it. I have some growing in a pot, but it's still wee. Years ago, a friend of mine smelled basil and said, "This almost makes me believe in heaven."

alotalot said...

Now I am trying to remember why I didn't plant any basil this year. Surely I had a good reason. It could NOT be because I simply forgot. :)

Julie said...

I linked today, but by accident my whole name showed up in the link. Would you PLEASE delete my last name? Thanks! Enjoy my pics! Your basil looks great!

Cloudscome said...

Yes all three of my boys love tea! We make Chinese green and jasmine teas after dinner quite often and the little ones beg for it. I put it in sandwiches too - it's great.

Alkelda, I planted lemon verbena this week too! I can't wait to try to make some lemon verbena sorbet.