Friday, May 02, 2008

NEW FEET WITHIN MY GARDEN GO

young lettuce

by: Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

EW feet within my garden go,
New fingers stir the sod;
A troubadour upon the elm
Betrays the solitude.
...read the rest here at Bartleby.com

We are planning to have the library painted and new carpets put in this summer. It's my job to pack the entire print collection to move it out of the way. Yikes! We are doing a hard weed (particularly of the reference section) in order not to pack books that are no longer a perfect fit for our collection. Today I found a somewhat worn copy of Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson in the "Discard" box. I rescued it for my own shelves. Above is one of my favorite short works for spring.

Friday Poetry is rounded up at Big A little a today. Enjoy!

8 comments:

TadMack said...

Lovely, and one I hadn't read before. Love the pics of your lettuce; this is my first year of living in a city with no garden access at all. It is ...hard. I may have lettuce in pots indoors!

Cloudscome said...

Yes there is nothing like fresh lettuce direct from the garden. This photo isn't actually my garden. It's a community garden so I don't get to eat these luscious leaves. Pots indoors or on a windowsill would work!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I'm taking your lead from last year and planting lettuces and herbs in pots as well as directly into the ground. It's been cold here, and the dill and lemon verbena I planted from starts are floundering. However, the lettuces in their pots are thriving. Hurrah, hurrah! I've started some cilantro on the windowsill.

Now, I'm off to read the rest of the Dickinson poem....

Sara said...

Way to go, rescuing Emily!

MMMM. That lettuce is making me imagine it with some honey almonds and a touch of feta cheese and vinaigrette.

John Mutford said...

In a little feature called "The Great Wednesday Compare" that I post each week on my blog, Emily Dickinson just kicked Walt Whitman's butt.

Liz in Ink said...

Oh, your picture this week is just delicious!

Kelly Fineman said...

I like that one!

Mary Lee said...

"The punctual snow"

Hmmm...that would be the one last snow of April that comes just after the forsythia blooms??? :-)