Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sonnet for my Grandmother

Miss Rumphius's Monday poetry stretch this week is calling for apostrophe poems. "An apostrophe is a poem which directly addresses a person or thing that is generally absent." Since I've been taking quilt pictures for my 365 photo blog I've been spending a lot of time looking at my grandmother's quilts and I've been thinking about her. I wrote a sonnet for her this morning.

grammy's nine patch 2

Grammy in heaven with your mean string
look down on my anger and forgive. Your brown
dresses make my quilt. I carry your frown.
I hate the storm of my anger. This wild thing
takes me away in a hot explosive fling -
I rage. My babe's wide eyes throw me down.
Tell us the story of when you left town.
Grampy's church sent you off that spring
with a quilt composed of old feed sacks,
their hope of peace and comfort for the road.
They wrote their names in fading ink. I trace
the seams, my tired finger on history's tracks.
Gather our childhood pouts that showed
grace coming at her own sweet pace.

feb 26 012


jo(e) said...

I like both the poem and the quilt photos.

tumblewords said...

Exquisite words and beautiful quilts! Today is my mother's birthday, she's been gone for almost quarter of a century and I still cry.

laurasalas said...

Andi, This is astonishing--so full of emotion. I love especially "my tired finger on history's tracks." The weight of that. And "I hate the storm of my anger. This wild thing/takes me away in a hot explosive fling."

So glad you had time to toss off a sonnet this morning! Ha!

Seriously, this is just powerful.

HipWriterMama said...

The first line of your sonnet made me tear up. You really know how to capture emotion.

Wishing you comfort as you remember your grandmother.

DaisyBug said...

Wow... I really love this. Very emotional and so genuine. Thank you for sharing!

Elaine Magliaro said...

I'm just getting around to reading this fine sonnet on Saturday. Great job! My second grade students used to write some wonderful poems of address. I was hoping to attempt writing one this week--but I've been battling a stubborn respiratory infection and correcting projects for the students in my children's literature course.

Enjoy your weekend.