Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday Poetry Stretch Haiku

yams bake in the sun
watched over by cloaked women
hugging the shade

-Andromeda Jazmon

This photograph was taken by Mark Knobil, a freelance video/film photographer from Pittsburgh. The image is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License.


laurasalas said...

hugging the shade--brilliant!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Hello! My daughter is starting to get interested in poetry. I think she'll enjoy listening to your poems especially with the pictures next to them.

The bulbs in the garden are poking through,and the other day I did some weeding to make sure they have room. Emily Dickinson said, "Hope is the thing with feathers," but I say, "Hope is the thing with leaves (and/or stems)."

Cloudscome said...

Alkelda - I am happy to hear about your daughter getting into poetry. Sometimes when my little guys can't fall asleep I tell them to just lie still and think of a poem. I say it in desperation, in hopes of distracting them from complaining. I figure if they are puzzling over what I mean it will keep them quiet long enough to fall asleep. Now my 2 year old tells me "Ma, I thought of a poem. I'm not sleeping." LOL I have no idea what that means to him.

About hope; I just read this poem by Rumi quoted in a new novel by Suzanne Fisher Staples, the author of Shabanu: " Flying toward thankfulness, you become
the rare bird with one wing made of fear,
and one of hope." I am holding on to that for the rest of February and into March.